Description


A diary of my mothing activity covering highlights and photos from my moth trapping activities. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I may mention other wildlife sightings here, especially insects, but for birds see my birding diary.

Thursday 8 April 2021

Review of 2019 and 2020 - Moths

MOTHS

Most of my moth records come from my garden where I trap every night of the year (using a Robinson trap) unless I'm away - it's only a tiny garden but I caught my 900th species for the garden in 2020 (having started when I moved here in August 2014).  I recorded 615 species of moth in the garden in 2019 and 647 species in 2020.  Elsewhere, I spend a fair bit of time at the North Elmham Cathedral Meadows and do the odd trip to other locations.  Away from home I used to use an MV light suspended over a sheet and/or a Skinners trap, but now I more often use a pair of battery-operated LED lights (with or without a sheet) as these are far more mobile.   This account also references holidays in Mull (June 2019) where I used the Robinson trap at the holiday accommodation and LEDs at other locations and in Cornwall (October 2020) where I used both the Robinson and Skinners traps at the cottage where we stayed.

The moths section of this review covers over 100 pages - if you want to wade through them all then start here and follow the "Next page" links at the bottom of each page to move through.   If you've got better things to do and prefer to dip in to the families you're interested in then use the hyperlinks (orange text) below to jump straight to the pages you're interested in.  Or just close your browser and go out mothing instead.

Plain Golds Micropterix calthella


Early Purple Eriocrania semipurpurella


Orange Swift


Willow Pigmy Stigmella obliquella - one of several species I recorded for the first time in 2019/20


Least Thorn Pigmy Stigmella perpygmaeella - another new one for me in 2020


Oak-bark Pigmy Zimmermannia atrifrontella - the first confirmed record for Norfolk


New Poplar Pigmy Ectoedemia hannoverella


Sorrel Bent-wing Opostega salaciella


Oak Satin Lift Heliozela sericella


Yellow-barred Long-horn Nemophora degeerella, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 20th June 2020


Common Leaf-cutter Incurvaria oehlmanniella


Bordered Carl Coptotriche marginea


Shining Bagworm Bacotia claustrella - the first adult to be recorded in Norfolk


Gold-sheen Clothes Moth Nemapogon ruricolella


male Hart's-tongue Smut Psychoides verhuella - the tenth for Norfolk


Alder Bent-wing Bucculatrix cidarella - a first for me


Clouded Slender Caloptilia populetorum


Mugwort Slender Leucospilapteryx omissella


Beech Slender Parornix fagivora - one of 4 in 2020 following my first ever in 2019


Scarce Oak Midget Phyllonorycter kuhlweiniella


Willow Midget Phyllonorycter viminiella - new for me in 2019 and new for the garden in 2020


Small Elm Midget Phyllonorycter schreberella - new for me in 2020


Maple Midget Phyllonorycter acerifoliella - new for my garden in 2020


Black-tipped Ermine Yponomeuta plumbella


Brown Pine Ermine Cedestis subfasciella


Hooked Smudge Yposolopha nemorella, North Elmham, 16th July 2019


Grey-streaked Diamond-back Plutella porrectella


Reed Fanner Orthotelia sparganella - a good local record at the Cathedral Meadows


Gold-ribbon Argent Argyresthia brockeella - contrary to the results of a recent Twitter poll, this IS the most beautiful British micro moth


Striped Bent-wing Lyonetia prunifoliella - the second for Norfolk


Dark Ash-bud Moth Prays ruficeps


male Scarce Obscure Prays Oegoconia deauratella


Ruddy Streak Tachystola acroxantha - new for me in 2020


March Tubic Diurnea fagella


Long-horned Flat-body Carcina quercana


Small Purple Flat-body Agonopterix purpurea


Treble-spot Flat-body Telechrysis tripuncta



Bulrush Cosmet Limnaecia phragmitella


White-strap Sober Aproaerema larseniella - the first one I've seen locally


Flame Crest Chrysoesthia drurella - a new moth for me


Thatch Neb Bryotropha basaltinella - my garden remains the best site in Norfolk for these (but no longer the only site)


Wainscot Neb Metzneria palustrellus - new for the garden


Humped Groundling Psoricoptera gibbosella - new for me in 2019 and for the garden in 2020


Goosefoot Groundling Scrobipalpa atriplicella - my first


Horse-shoe Groundling Altenia scriptella - new for me in 2020


Poplar Cosmet Batrachedra praeangusta


Osier Case-bearer Coleophora lusciniaepennella


Black-stigma Case-bearer Coleophora hemerobiella - new for me in 2020


White Birch Case-bearer Coleophora betulella


Black Bindweed Case-bearer Coleophora therinella


Dusted Case-bearer Coleophora adspersella


Red-brindled Dwarf Elachista rufocinerea


Field Dwarf Elachista consortella - featuring the first 3 records for Norfolk


Yellow-headed Cosmet Spuleria flavicaput


Little Mompha Mompha raschkiella


London Dowd Blastobasis lacticolella


White-dusted Owlet Scythris picaepennis - a new moth for me in 2020 and the 10th for Norfolk


Many-plume Moth Alucita hexadactyla


Breckland Plume Oxyptilus distans - the first for this 10km square


Citron Plume Hellinsia carphodactyla


Large Lance-wing Epermenia falciformis


Common Nettle-tap Anthophila fabriciana


White-barred Tortrix Olindia schumacherana


Spruce Tortrix Dichelia histrionana - the first for Norfolk and second for Britain


Viburnum Button Acleris schalleriana


Meadow-sweet Button Acleris shepherdana


Marbled Conch Eupoecilia angustana


male Birch Conch Thyraylea nana, North Elmham, 21st May 2020


White-backed Marble Hedya salicella


Bugle Marble Endothenia ustulana - a new moth for me in 2019


Grey Aspen Bell Epinotia cinereana


Saw-wort Bell Eucosma parvulana - new to Norfolk in 2019


Spotted Shoot Rhyacionia pinivorana - the first for Mull


Scarce Pine Piercer Cydia cosmophorana - new for me in 2020


Kent Fruit Piercer Grapholita lobarzewskii - my 7th garden record of a species that was new to Norfolk in 2018


Fruitlet-mining Tortrix Pammene rhediella - new for me in 2020


Leopard Moth


Lunar Hornet Moth, North Elmham - a new moth for me in 2020


Slender Scotch Burnet on Mull


Wax Moth Galleria mellonella


Saltmarsh Knot-horn Ancylosis oblitella - a new moth for me in 2020


Meal Moth Pyralis farinalis


Common Purple & Gold Pyrausta purpuralis - new for the garden in 2020


Olive-tree Pearl Palpita vitrealis - new for the garden in 2020


Large Grey Scoparia subfusca


Barred Grass-veneer Agriphila inquinatella - exceptional years for this species


Pearl-band Grass-veneer Catoptria margaritella - an extoardinary record!


Beautiful China-mark Nymphula nitidulata


Oak Lutestring


Lappet - a new moth for me in 2020


Emperor Moth


Elephant Hawk-moth


Smoky Wave - new for me in 2019


Yellow Shell


Dark Spinach


Chevron - new for the garden in 2020


Mottled Grey - new for the garden in 2019


Netted Pug - a new moth for me in my garden in 2020


Thyme Pug - one of four new Pugs for me on Mull


Streak


Bordered Beauty


Swallow-tailed Moth


Small Brindled Beauty - new for my garden in 2020


Grey Birch



Small Emerald


Lobster Moth


Chocolate-tip


Herald


Garden Tiger


Red underwing


Gold Spot


Small Yellow Underwing


Tree-lichen Beauty


Saxon on Mull


Rush Wainscot - one of three caught at home in 2019/20


Clouded-bordered Brindle


Orange Sallow


Dotted Chestnut


Lesser-spotted Pinion


Beautiful Yellow Underwing


Broad-barred White


Shore Wainscot


Radford's Flame Shoulder in Cornwall - a new moth for me


Green Arches


Heath Rustic - a new moth for me in 2019


Green Silver-lines - possibly the best-looking moth in the world?


No comments:

Post a Comment