Description


A diary of my mothing activity covering highlights and photos from my moth trapping activities. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I may mention other wildlife sightings here, especially insects, but for birds see my birding diary.

Wednesday 10 March 2021

Review of 2019 and 2020 - Moths: Pyralids (Pyralidae) - part 1: Aphomia to Nephopterix (Bee and Wax Moths and Knot-horns I)

PYRALIDS (PYRALIDAE)


Bee Moth Aphomia sociella - One at home on 21st March 2019 was a whole month earlier than I've ever found this species before.  Otherwise a total of 57 between 16th May and 25th July 2019 and 54 between 8th May and 29th July 2020, which are about average totals here.   Elsewhere 9 at the meadows and one at Bintree Wood.

Bee Moth Aphomia sociella, North Elmham, 21st March 2019


Bee Moth Aphomia sociella, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 25th May 2019


Bee Moth Aphomia sociella, North Elmham, 8th May 2020



Lesser Wax Moth Achroia grisella - None.  I've not seen this species locally but there are a few records from the mid Wensum valley area so it may turn up here.


Wax Moth Galleria mellonella - None in 2019 but one in the garden on 23rd July 2020 and then one at the meadows on 8th September.  I've had 6 records here since moving in in 2014, but all in even years.

Wax Moth Galleria mellonella, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 8th September 2020



Double-striped Knot-horn Cryptoblabes bistriga - One at Swanton Great Wood on 27th August 2019 and one at Hills and Holes on 21st May 2020.  I've only ever had one in the garden, in 2015.

male Double-striped Knot-horn Cryptoblabes bistriga, Swanton Great Wood, 27th August 2019



Brown Knot-horn Matilella fusca - None.  I've not seen this any closer than Marsham Heath.  The species seems to be pretty widespread in the east of the county but there are no records from the west half of central Norfolk.  Yet.


Brown Powdered Knot-horn Delplanqueia inscriptella - None, my first full years here without recording this spccies (it had been averaging 2 a year).


Rosy-striped Knot-horn Oncocera semirubella - None.  This distinctive species seems to be increasing and becoming established in Norfolk with widespread records, but it hasn't graced my garden yet and nor have I found it anywhere else.  Hopefully it won't be long before I connect.


Heather Knot-horn Pempelia palumbella - None.  Although I've found this species quite easily at several different heathland sites I get the impression it doesn't tend to wander far from heaths and I've never recorded it anywhere else.


Beautiful Knot-horn Rhodophaea formosa - One in the garden trap on 24th June 2019.  Numbers here have ranged from zero (2017 and again in 2020) to 4 (2018).  Also one at Weybourne on 5th July 2019.

Beautiful Knot-horn Rhodophaea formosa, North Elmham, 24th June 2019


New Pine Knot-horn Dioryctria sylvestrella - One in the garden on 22nd July 2019.  I caught this species at home on 3 previous occasions, once in 2015 and twice in 2018.  Elsewhere one at Swanton Great Wood on 27th August 2019.

New Pine Knot-horn Dioryctria sylvestrella, Swanton Great Wood, 27th August 2019


New Pine Knot-horn Dioryctria sylvestrella, North Elmham, 22nd July 2020



Brown Pine Knot-horn Dioryctria simpliciella - None.  I've recorded this species at home twice (2016 and 2018).


Dark Pine Knot-horn Dioryctria abietella - None.  I've recorded this species at home twice too (2014 and 2017).


Dotted Oak Knot-horn Phycita roborella - 2019 was my best year for this species at home with at least 20 (not counted on a couple of nights) between 13th July and 7th August.  That total is as many as I'd recorded here between moving in in August 2014 and the end of 2018.  Not a bad year again in 2020 with 10 between 25th June and 15th August.  Elsewhere one next door, 7 at the meadows and one at Bintree Wood.

Dotted Oak Knot-horn Phycita roborella, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 7th July 2019



Dotted Oak Knot-horns Phycita roborella, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 18th July 2020



Spindle Knot-horn Nephopterix angustella - One trapped at home on 23rd September 2019 was a new moth for the garden and only my third anywhere but it was followed by 2 more in the garden in 2020, on 1st and 16th August.  This species has increased massively in the last few years.


Spindle Knot-horn Nephopterix angustella, North Elmham, 23rd September 2019


Spindle Knot-horn Nephopterix angustella, North Elmham, 1st August 2020



Next page: more Pyralidae

No comments:

Post a Comment