Description


A diary of my mothing activity covering highlights and photos from my moth trapping activities. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I may mention other wildlife sightings here, especially insects, but for birds see my birding diary.

Wednesday 3 March 2021

Review of 2019 and 2020 - Moths: Plumes (Pterophoridae) (part 2), Lance-wings (Epermeniidae) and Metal-marks (Choreutidae)

PLUME MOTHS (PTEROPHORIDAE) (continued)


Citron Plume Hellinsia carphodactyla
- One at Bintree Wood on 13th June 2020.  This is the first one I've caught away from the Brecks and gives me hope that I might get one here or at the meadows sometime.  Also shown below is one I confirmed for Geoff Turner at Weybourne in 2019.

Citron Plume Hellinsia carphodactyla, caught by Geoff Turner at Weybourne between 30th June and 4th July 2019


Citron Plume Hellinsia carphodactyla, Bintree Wood, 13th June 2020



Mugwort Plume Hellinsia lienigianus - One at the meadows on 30th June 2019.  I've recorded this species in the garden on 2 occasions, both in 2017.

Mugwort Plume Hellinsia lienigianus, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 30th June 2019



Hemp-agrimony Plume Adaina microdactyla - None.  I've only recorded this species at home once, in 2015.


Common Plume Emmelina monodactyla - At least 123 at home between 5th March and 12th October 2019, but not counted on 4 nights so perhaps more.  That's my best year here so far, with numbers increasing (if only slightly) each year since I arrived - until 2020 when there were only 91 between 5th April and 22nd October.  Also recorded next door, at the allotment, at the meadows, at Lyng Easthaugh, Whitwell Street, Hellesdon and in Cornwall.

Common Plume Emmelina monodactyla, North Elmham, 10th August 2019


Common Plume Emmelina monodactyla, North Elmham, 11th August 2019


Common Plume Emmelina monodactyla, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 4th October 2019




-----------------------------------



FALSE-FEATHERS (SCHRECKENSTEINIIDAE)


Bramble False-feather Schreckensteinia festaliella - None.  I've never recorded this unique species locally (only at Frost's Common in 2017) but I see no reason why it shouldn't be present round here.




-----------------------------------



LANCE-WINGS (EPERMENIIDAE)


Yellow-spotted Lance-wing Phaulernis fulviguttella - None.  I've only recorded this twice, both at West Raynham in the daytime in 2013.  It's a scarce species but it may well occur locally.  Probably more chance of finding this one at the meadows than in my garden.


Scale-tooth Lance-wing Phaulernis dentella - On 21st June 2019 I netted a small worn moth along the track at the meadows in identical circumstances and in almost exactly the same place as I netted my first and only confirmed dentella on 6th June 2018.  The shape of the moth put me in mind of the 2018 record but the distinctive markings of dentella could not be discerned, either because it was too worn or because they weren't there in the first place.  I imagined gen detting would resolve it, and in time it may yet, but the problem for now is that I cannot find any reference material to compare it to.  It was a female and there are no images of female genitalia of Phaulernis dentella on the Dissection Group website, nor on any of the other websites that often have such things, nor in any of my books.  I've asked around but can't find anyone who has any such images.  Part of the problem is that it's a nationally scarce moth that is quite rare outside of Norfolk (although it doesn't seem to be restricted to particularly unusual habitats within Norfolk).  The genitalia do look very similar to female Phaulernis fulviguttella, but not identical to the Dissection Group image of that species, leading me to conclude that it may well be dentella.  However, some of the Epermenia species have similar genitalia too (indeed the non-Norfolk Epermenia insecurella is arguably a closer match than Phaulernis fulviguttella) so I'm not sure.  I think most of the Epermenia have longer narrower wings so I feel it is most likely Phaulernis dentella, but although I hope one day to resolve this, for now I've hit a dead end.




possible female Scale-tooth Lance-wing Phaulernis dentella or possibly Epermenia sp., North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 21st June - showing genitalia in lower images



Garden Lance-wing Epermenia chaerophylllella - One in the garden trap on 4th July 2019.  None in 2020.  I record 1-2 most years but 2020 wasn't my first blank; it's one of the few species I used to see more often at Bawdeswell than I do here.

Garden Lance-wing Epermenia chaerophyllella, North Elmham, 4th July 2019



Large Lance-wing Epermenia falciformis - 2 in the garden and one at the meadows between 17th and 27th August 2019 but none in 2020.  I had 2 here in 2018 but prior to that I'd only one here since arriving in August 2014.

Large Lance-wing Epermenia falciformis, North Elmham, 17th August 2019




-----------------------------------



METAL-MARKS (CHOREUTIDAE)


Common Nettle-tap Anthophila fabriciana - None at home in 2019 or 2020, my first full years living here witout finding any in my garden.  2019 seemed to be a poor year for this sometimes-abundant species - I only recorded singles at the meadows on 4 dates between 20th April and 21st June and then 2 on 11th September (also one at Swanton Novers on 15th August).  2020 wasn't a great deal better with 9 at the meadows between 9th May and 20th June and singles on 11th and 16th September.  More in Cornwall in early October including 20 at Higher Bosistow.

male Common Nettle-tap Anthophila fabriciana, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 11th September 2020



Apple-leaf Skeletonizer Choreutis pariana - None.  I am yet to see this species but it's fairly widespread and not all that rare, so I'd have thought I would have a reasonable chance of finding one  locally someday.  I am also yet to come across any of the rarer Prochoreutis Metal-marks.


Next page: Tortricidae

No comments:

Post a Comment