Description


A diary of my mothing activity covering highlights and photos from my moth trapping activities. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I may mention other wildlife sightings here, especially insects, but for birds see my birding diary.

Wednesday 3 March 2021

Review of 2019 and 2020 - Moths: Momphas (Momphidae), Dowds (Blastobasidae) and Owlets (Scythrididae)

MOMPHAS (MOMPHIDAE)


Buff Mompha Mompha ochraceella - Singles caught in the garden on 30th June and 5th July 2019 and on 6 dates between 22nd July and 11th July 2020.  A poor year and a good year, but neither quite my worst nor quite my best.


Marbled Mompha Mompha propinquella - One caught in the garden on 26th July 2019 and 4 between 17th July and 21st August 2020.  This species isn't quite annual here though I average over one a year - the 4 in 2020 was unprecedented.  This species frequently shows buff tones to the "white" head and thorax so this should not be taken as indicative of Rust-blotch Mompha Mompha lacteella and it's almost never pure white.  Possibly lacteella shows a deeper more clearly buff head and thorax compared with most propinquella but I suspect that the mantra that propinquella has a white head and thorax must lead to misidentifications of some as lacteella.  I gen det any examples with significant (and sometimes slight) buff tones head and thorax and I am yet to come across a real lacteella.

female Marbled Mompha Mompha propinquella, North Elmham, 17th July 2020


male Marbled Mompha Mompha propinquella, North Elmham, 4th August 2020


male Marbled Mompha Mompha propinquella, North Elmham, 18th August 2020



Scarce Mompha Mompha jurassicella - None.  One in my garden in 2018 is my only record of this species.


New Neat Mompha Mompha bradleyi
- None.  I've never seen this species and until recently it never seemed particularly likely with very few Norfolk records.  However a few recent records in mid Norfolk gives me hope.  There's plenty of its foodplant along the railway here including at the meadows.


Garden Mompha Mompha subbistrigella - Only one record in 2019, an individual I found dead inside the house.  It hadn't been there before so I presume it was recently arrived on 7th June.  This is the nearest I've come to a blank year so far in North Elmham, averaging 2 a year, and 2020 was on average with singles trapped on 2nd and 17th June.  I've never seen Kentish Mompha Mompha sturnipennella and am never quite sure how obvious it will be when one appears, so I tend to gen det any but the freshest clearest examples of subbistrigella.

male Garden Mompha Mompha subbistrigella, North Elmham, 2nd June 2020


male Garden Mompha Mompha subbistrigella, North Elmham, 17th June 2020



Common Mompha Mompha epilobiella - Singles at home on 30th May and 14th August 2019 and 22nd July 2020.  2020 was my worst year here; 2 in a year isn't unusual but I had 10 in 2017.  Netted at the meadows on 4 dates (19th April 2019 and 3 dates in 2020).  Also one in Hellesdon on 14th July 2019.

Common Mompha Mompha epilobiella, Hellesdon, 15th July 2019


Common Mompha Mompha epilobiella, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 2nd May 2020



Clouded Mompha Mompha langiella - None.  There are several rare or scarce species of Mompha that I haven't yet encountered but this is perhaps one of the more likely to appear here.  There aren't any recent records from this vice county but there are a few widespread recent records from the eastern half of the county.  Another possibility is Enchanters Mompha Mompha terminella, with plenty of recent records from east Norfolk and numerous mines found in the Brecks in 2020.


Little Mompha Mompha raschkiella - Singles here on 17th June and 26th August 2019 and 6th August and 15th September 2020.  I didn't record this species here in my first 2 years here but have now had 9 since 2017.  Elsewhere one at Weybourne on 5th July 2019, occupied leaf-mines in Rosebay Willowherb at the meadows on 8th September 2019 and 10th July 2020 and an adult there on 13th July 2020.

Little Mompha Mompha raschkiella, North Elmham, 17th June 2019



leaf-mine of Little Mompha Mompha raschkiella, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 8th September 2019, and caterpillar that emerged from it on 11th September 2019


Little Mompha Mompha raschkiella, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 13th July 2020


Little Mompha Mompha raschkiella, North Elmham, 6th August 2020




-----------------------------------



DOWDS (BLASTOBASIDAE)


Dingly Dowd Blastobasis adustella - Recorded on 29 nights at home in 2019 which is slightly more than in previous years.  I didn't count them every night but the highest of those I did count was 23 on 23rd July.  In 2020 I caught 228 here over 35 nigthts between 16th July and 2nd September, the most I've ever recorded here.  Also recorded next door, at the meadows, in Hellesdon, Swanton Great Wood, Whitwell Street and Row Heath (West Runton).

Dingy Dowd Blastobasis adustella, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 4th August 2019



London Dowd Blastobasis lacticolella - Totals of 29 in the garden trap between 2nd June and 24th November 2019 and 20 between 21st May and 12th November 2020, with records spread out and never more than 3 in a night.  2019 was my best year so far, although totals have been in the 20s for the last 4 years.  Elsewhere recorded at the meadows on 8 occasions, County School Station, Bintree Wood, Swanton Great Wood, Weybourne and on Mull.

London Dowd Blastobasis lacticolella, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 21st May 2019




-----------------------------------



ALDER SIGNAL (STRATHMOPODIDAE)


Alder Signal Stathmopoda pedella - None.  I have recorded this twice in the garden, in 2016 and 2017.




-----------------------------------



OWLETS  (SCYTHRIDIDAE)


White-dusted Owlet Scytrhis picaepennis - One at Brancaster on 2nd July 2020, the first time I've ever seen this species and the 10th record for Norfolk.  There is one previous record from north-west Norfolk and a handful of records from the Brecks, all since 2013.

male White-dusted Owlet Scythris picaepennis, Brancaster, 2nd July 2020



Sorrel Owlet Scytrhis potentillella - None.  I've never seen this species but it's perhaps one of the more likely species to turn up locally?


Next page: Alucitidae plus

No comments:

Post a Comment