Description


A diary of my mothing activity covering highlights and photos from my moth trapping activities. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I may mention other wildlife sightings here, especially insects, but for birds see my birding diary.

Saturday 13 March 2021

Review of 2019 and 2020 - Moths: Grass moths (Crambidae) - Part 1: Pearls I (Pyrausta to Anania)

GRASS MOTHS (CRAMBIDAE)


Silver-barred Sable Pyrausta cingulata - 3 along the track running west from Tiroran on Mull on 10th June 2019.  This is a non-Norfolk species and it was a new one for me.



Silver-barred Sables Pyrausta cingulata, west of Tiroran (Mull), 10th June 2019



Straw-barred Pearl Pyrausta despicata - New for the garden in 2020 when not one but 10 (!) over 8 nights between 28th June and 3rd September.  Elsewhere one at the meadows on 22nd August 2019, 6 at Brancaster in July 2020 and 2 on Mull in June 2020.  Although I had this species at my last house in Bawdeswell it took me 6 years to get it here - made up for that now though.

Staw-barred Pearl Pyrausta despicata, Glen More, 9th June 2019


Staw-barred Pearl Pyrausta despicata, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 22nd August 2019


Staw-barred Pearl Pyrausta despicata, North Elmham, 28th June 2020


Staw-barred Pearl Pyrausta despicata, North Elmham, 21st August 2020



Small Purple & Gold Pyrausta aurata - A total of 15 in the garden between 23rd July and 14th September 2019 was a record year but somewhat eclipsed by 44 between 10th April and 25th August 2020.  11 in 2018 was the first time I'd caught more than 3 in a year.  In this case the increase here may be nothing to do with its county-wide population but more to do with the mint we planted in the garden a few years ago getting a bit out of hand.  Records consisted of a mixture of daytime observations and individuals caught in the moth trap and interestingly this species showed a similar pattern to several other species that I see both in daytime (often at the meadows) and at night (here or elsewhere) with the majority of those at the start of the flight period being seen in the day and the majority of those towards the end of the flight period being caught at light.  In this case I'd seen 17 during the day before I caught any at light (first to light on 26th June) and I caught 11 in the trap after I saw the last during the day (on 26th July).


Small Purple & Gold Pyrausta aurata, North Elmham, 23rd July 2019


Small Purple & Gold Pyrausta aurata, North Elmham, 25th August 2020



Common Purple & Gold Pyrausta purpuralis - This species doesn't live up to the first part of its vernacular name in Norfolk, at least not round here, but I finally added it to my garden list in 2020 when I caught one on 8th August 2020.  Elsewhere one along the track west of Tiroran on Mull on 10th June 2019.

Common Purple & Gold Pyrausta purpuralis, west of Tiroran (Mull), 10th June 2019





Common Purple & Gold Pyrausta purpuralis, North Elmham, 8th August 2020



Orange-rayed Pearl Nascia cilialis - None.  I've only ever seen one of these and that wasn't local, but David Knight caught one at Worthing in 2018 so that gives me hope that I might find one locally.


Sulphur Pearl Sitochroa palealis - None.  I'm yet to find this species anywhere but although there are no records from my 10k square it's fairly widespread so there must be a fair chance of it turning up here.


Lesser Pearl Sitochroa verticalis - An average showing at home with 4 between 3rd June and 23rd July 2019 and 5 between 21st May and 17th June 2020.  Also singles at the meadows both years.

Lesser Pearl Sitochroa verticalis, North Elmham, 3rd June 2019


Lesser Pearl Sitochroa verticalis, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 7th July 2019


Lesser Pearl Sitochroa verticalis, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 18th July 2020



Long-winged Pearl Anania lancealis - One in the garden on 24th June 2020, my 4th record here (previous ones all 2016-17).  Elsewhere one at the meadows on 7th July 2019 and one at Hellesdon on 14th July 2019.

Long-winged Pearl Anania lancealis, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 7th July 2019


Long-winged Pearl Anania lancealis, North Elmham, 24th June 2020



Elder Pearl Anania coronata - Totals of 23 at home between 24th June and 23rd July 2019 and 24 between 16th June and 22nd July 2020, the lowest totals I've had since coming here.  I averaged around 30 a year here.  Also a couple at the meadows.  Ever the optimist I always check these for Woundwort Pearl Anania stachydalis but no luck with that one yet!

Elder Pearl Anania coronoata, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 7th July 2019


Elder Pearl Anania coronoata, North Elmham, 22nd June 2020



Fenland Pearl Anania perlucidalis - 11 caught in the garden between 17th June and 23rd July 2019, making it my best year to date here (previously I've caught 5-8) but then just 3 in 2020 between 14th June and 10th July.  Also one at the meadows.

Fenland Pearl Anania perlucidalis, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 7th July 2019


Fenland Pearl Anania perlucidalis, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 24th June 2020



Golden-rod Pearl Anania terrealis - I caught my first example of this non-Norfolk species at Carsaig on Mull on 12th June 2019.

male Golden-rod Pearl Anania terrealis, Carsaig (Mull), 12th June 2019



Ochreous Pearl Anania crocealis - One in the garden on 17th July 2019 and 2 on 18th July 2020.  I had only recorded this species here twice before (2017 and 2018).  Elsewhere one at Weybourne on 5th July 2019

Ochreous Pearl Anania crocealis, Weybourne, 5th July 2019


Ochreous Pearl Anania crocealis, North Elmham, 18th July 2020



Golden Pearl Anania verbascalis - None.  I am yet to find this species locally but it seems to be cropping up away from the main strongholds more often so it seems worth looking out for.


Small Magpie Anania hortulata - A total of 77 in my garden between 1st June and 4th August 2019, making it my worst year ever for this common species.  2020 wasn't much better with 80 between 18th May and 22nd July.  Prior to this year 112 in 2015 was my lowest total so these were quite a way short.

Small Magpie Anania hortulata, North Elmham, 18th July 2020



European Corn-borer Ostrinia nubilalis - None.  I've only caught this species at home once, in 2016.


Next page: more Crambidae

No comments:

Post a Comment