Description


A diary of my mothing activity covering highlights and photos from my moth trapping activities. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I may mention other wildlife sightings here, especially insects, but for birds see my birding diary.

Friday 5 March 2021

Review of 2019 and 2020 - Moths: Tortrix Moths (Tortricidae) (Part 4: Buttons II (Acleris to Pseudargyrotoza))

 TORTRIX MOTHS (TORTRICIDAE) (continued)


Tufted Button Acleris cristana - None in 2019 but one in the garden moth trap on 30th January 2020.  2019 wasn't my first blank year here but I had 6 here in the previous 3 years.

male Tufted Button Acleris cristana, North Elmham, 30th January 2020



Garden Rose Tortrix Acleris variegana - A total of 92 in the garden trap between 20th July and 18th October 2019.  Although only one less than 2018 this was my worst year since moving here and I recorded double this number in 2016.  It picked up a bit in 2020 with 123 between 6th July and 28th October.  Very few elsewhere: one next door, one at the meadows and 2 in Cornwall.

Garden Rose Tortrix Acleris variegana, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 22nd August 2019


Garden Rose Tortrix Acleris variegana, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 6th July 2020



Ginger Button Acleris aspersana - None.  I've only recorded 3 of these, all in my garden in 2016-2017.


Meadow-sweet Button Acleris shepherdana - One at the meadows and 2 in my garden trap on the same night, 4th August 2019, and another at home 5 nights later.  3 in my garden is exceptional - I'd only ever had one here before, in 2015, but it wasn't a particularly good year for the species elsewhere in Norfolk - in fact there were only 2 others reported in the county in 2019!  None in 2020.

male Meadow-sweet Button Acleris shepherdana, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 4th August 2019



male and female Meadow-sweet Buttons Acleris shepherdana, North Elmham, 4th August 2019


male Meadow-sweet Button Acleris shepherdana, North Elmham, 9th August 2019



Sallow Button Acleris hastiana - One in the garden trap on 25th December 2019, a nice Christmas present being a species I have only recorded here 3 times before (2016 and 2017).  None in 2020.



male Sallow Button Acleris hastiana, North Elmham, 25th December 2019



Heath Button Acleris hyemana - I caught my first ever example of this species in my parent's garden in Keswick (the one in Cumbria not the one in Norfolk) on 6th April 2019.  It was quite a worn individual that wasn't showing the distinctive markings often associated with this species, and so required gen detting to resolve (although I did have an inkling that it might be this species).  This species does occur in Norfolk and can apparently be seen on sunny days, though it hasn't ever been recorded close to here, and nowhere even remotely close since the start of this millenium.

male Heath Button Acleris hyemana, Keswick (Cumbria), 6th April 2019



Rusty Oak Button Acleris ferrugana - A total of 8 caught in my garden trap in 2019 which is just about my highest annual total here (average 5 a year).  3 were between 15th March and 22nd April, the spring (hibernated) generation, one on 12th July was the only one from the summer generation and the other 4 were from the autumn (and overwintering) generation between 28th September and 25th November.  The same generation made up 4 of 2020's records between 16th January and 15th February and then there were singles on 11th and 13th July.  Elsewhere a larval record from the meadows on 24th August 2020 (thanks to Rob Edmunds for confirming this one).

male Rusty Oak Button Acleris ferrugana, North Elmham, 15th March 2019


female Rusty Oak Button Acleris ferrugana, North Elmham, 22nd April 2019


female Rusty Oak Button Acleris ferrugana, North Elmham, 12th July 2019


male Rusty Oak Button Acleris ferrugana, North Elmham, 28th September 2019



male Rusty Oak Buttons Acleris ferrugana, North Elmham, 25th November 2019


male Rusty Oak Button Acleris ferrugana, North Elmham, 31st January 2020


male Rusty Oak Button Acleris ferrugana, North Elmham, 4th February 2020


male Rusty Oak Button Acleris ferrugana, North Elmham, 13th July 2020





caterpillar and pupa of Rusty Oak Button Acleris ferrugana, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 24th August 2020 (pupa photographed on 9th December)



Rusty Birch Button Acleris notana - None.  Despite the close proximity of 2 Birch trees (one very mature) to my garden I have never recorded this species here (or anywhere locally).


Elm Button Acleris kochiella - None.  I've never seen this species but the species has increased significantly in recent yearas and is now widespread in Norfolk, so I should think I must be in with a good chance of catching one locally.


Grey Birch Button Acleris logiana - One in my garden moth trap on 5th July 2020 was my first here, and indeed my first anywhere since just before I moved here in 2014.


female Grey Birch Button Acleris logiana, North Elmham, 5th July 2020



Lichen Button Acleris literana - None.  Another one I'm yet to connect with, but with a scattering of records around the county there must be a fair chance of me finding one round here.  Hope so anyway - they look fabulous!


Brassy Tortrix Eulia ministrana - One in my garden trap on 31st May 2019 was a new moth for the garden.  None in 2020.

Brassy Tortrix Eulia ministrana, North Elmham, 31st  May 2019



Yellow-spot Tortrix Pseudargyrotoza conwagana - Singles caught in my garden on 4 nights between 31st May and 31st July 2019 and 3 between 12th June and 4th July 2020.  Although these are average showings I've had 2 blank years (and 10 in 2016).  Elsewhere 3 at the meadows and one at Weybourne.

Yellow-spot Tortrix Pseudargyrotoza conwagana, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 21st June 2019


Yellow-spot Tortrix Pseudargyrotoza conwagana, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 23rd June 2020


Next page: more Tortricidae

No comments:

Post a Comment