Description


A diary of my mothing activity covering highlights and photos from my moth trapping activities. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I may mention other wildlife sightings here, especially insects, but for birds see my birding diary.

Wednesday 10 March 2021

Review of 2019 and 2020 - Moths: Tortrix Moths (Tortricidae) (Part 9: Bells I (Epinotia to Zeiraphera))

TORTRIX MOTHS (TORTRICIDAE) (continued)


Large Birch Bell Epinotia brunnichana - 3 at Swanton Great Wood on 27th August 2019 and one at Bintree Wood on 24th July 2020.  I've had this species at home twice, in 2015 and 2017.

Large Birch Bell Epinotia brunnichana, Swanton Great Wood, 27th August 2019


Large Birch Bell Epinotia brunnichana, Bintree Wood, 24th July 2020



Variable Bell Epinotia solandriana - None.  I've never seen this species but the few Norfolk records are scattered quite widely and there's plenty of its foodplants growing round here.


Brown Elm Bell Epinotia abbreviana - One in the garden on 23rd June 2019.  Until 2020 this species occurred here annually but with only 1-2 records each year a blank year was inevitable and it came in 2020.

male Brown Elm Bell Epinotia abbreviana, North Elmham, 23rd June 2019



Black-brindled Bell Epinotia signatana - Singles caught in the garden on 24th June and 5th July 2019 and 17th June 2020.  The July 2019 one had a large tick attached to the side of its face.  I've had 9 here now in 6 years but didn't have any in 2018.  Elsewhere one at the meadows on 18th June 2020.

male Black-brindled Bell Epinotia signatana, North Elmham, 24th June 2019


Black-brindled Bell Epinotia signatana, North Elmham, 5th July 2019 - with unidentified tick


male Black-brindled Bell Epinotia signatana, North Elmham, 17th June 2020


male Black-brindled Bell Epinotia signatana, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 18th June 2020



Willow Tortix Epinotia cruciana - None.  I've never caught this species here - my closest record is one I caught at my last house in Bawdeswell in 2013.


Common Birch Bell Epinotia immundana - One in my car on the driveway on 7th May 2019 and 3 caught in my garden in 2020 (8th May, 16th August and 8th September).  I average 2 a year here.  Also 5 at Sculthorpe Moor on 26th April 2019 and one at Penberth in Cornwall in October 2020.


Common Birch Bells Epinotia immundana, Sculthorpe Moor, 26th April 2019


Common Birch Bell Epinotia immundana, North Elmham, 8th May 2020


Common Birch Bell Epinotia immundana, North Elmham, 16th August 2020


Common Birch Bell Epinotia immundana, North Elmham, 8th Sepember 2020



Birch Bell Epinotia demarniana - None.  Perhaps surprisingly, I've never caught this species here.  It's not far away - I caught it twice at my last place in Bawdeswell and twice at Bawdeswell Heath.


White Sallow Bell Epinotia subocellana - None.  I've only seen this species once, but not far away - at Bintree Wood in 2012.


Square-barred Bell Epinotia tetraquetrana - None.  I'm yet to record this species but although it's scarce it seems to be pretty widespread so may well be lurking nearby.


Nut-bud Moth Epinotia tenerana - 5 in the garden trap between 25th June and 25th July 2019 and 2 in 2020, on 5th July and 2nd September.  I had 9 in 2018 but none in either 2015 or 2017.

male Nut-bud Moth Epinotia tenerana, North Elmham, 16th July 2019


male Nut-bud Moth Epinotia tenerana, North Elmham, 5th July 2020


male Nut-bud Moth Epinotia tenerana, North Elmham, 2nd September 2020



Small Birch Bell Epinotia ramella - Singles in the garden on 22nd August 2019 and 7th September 2020.  Like the previous species numbers recorded here vary dramatically from one year to the next, with 7-8 in 2014 and 2018 and 0-1 in 2015-2017.  Also 2 at Swanton Great Wood on 27th August 2019.

Small Birch Bell Epinotia ramella, North Elmham, 22nd August 2019



Pine Bell Epinotia rubiginosana - Recorded at Hills and Holes on 21st May 2020 and Bintree Wood on 13th June 2020.  Although this species can be easy enough to find in suitable habitat I have yet to record it North Elmham.

Pine Bell Epinotia rubiginosana, Bintree Wood, 13th June 2020



Common Spruce Bell Epinotia tedella - None.  I've recorded this species once at home, in 2018.


Crescent Bell Epinotia bilunana - One in the garden moth trap on 28th June 2019 but after averaging 3 a year since 2015 I had my first blank year in 2020.


Grey Poplar Bell Epinotia nisella - 2019 was my first blank year here, although there was one possible that I couldn't resolve - see below after cinereana.  3 in 2020 between 14th August and 22nd September, my equal best year here.  When I trapped in next-door's garden on 7th August 2019 I caught over 10 nisella, which is more than I had trapped in my own garden in 6 years - amazing the difference a couple of hundred yards can make.  Also one at Swanton Great Wood on 27th August 2019, 10 at Whitwell Street on 3rd September 2020 and one in Cornwall in October 2020.

Grey Poplar Bell Epinotia nisella, Whitwell Street, 3rd September 2020



Grey Poplar Bell Epinotia nisella, Tresidder (Cornwall), 6th October 2020



Grey Aspen Bell Epinotia cinereana - One in my garden on 8th July 2020 was my second here but only the 8th record for Norfolk.




male Grey Aspen Bell Epinotia cinereana, North Elmham, 8th July 2020 (showing genitalia and aedeagus - some of the cornuti detached but they can be counted by counting the number of spots on the plate they attach to)


In each year I caught single nisella/cinereana that I have been unable to resolve.  The first in 2019 had gone a bit mouldy when I came to examine it and while that doesn't normally affect the genitalia and prevent determination, when I removed this one's abdomen from the potassium hydroxide (used to soften it before examining the genitalia) the genitalia fell apart.  I don't think it had been in excessively long so not sure if it was down to the mould or what, but although I did find the aedeagus there was absolutely no sign of cornuti or the little plate to which the cornuti attach.  It's not uncommon for the cornuti to be missing (I think they lose them during mating) but you can normally find the plate inside the aedeagus and count the spots where they had been attached.  As the number of cornuti is the best means of separating these two species I'm going to have to leave this one unresolved.

Grey Poplar Bell Epinotia nisella or Grey Aspen Bell Epinotia cinereana, North Elmham, 10th August 2019


A second candidate for cinereana in 2020 was equally problematic, but for different reasons.  In this case although the cornuti were missing, the plate to which they attach was present and undamaged.  The number of cornuti in each species varies and different references quote slightly different ranges, but up to now it's been pretty clear which species has been involved.  The ranges quoted on the British Lepidoptera website are 18-20 for cinereana and 40-50 for nisella, whereas the Moth Dissection UK website shows 15-20 in cinereana and "around 40" in nisella (annotated against an example with only 35).  My record of cinereana from 2015 had 21 so although it was slightly more than the stated range it was obviosuly in the cinereana ball park.  The one from July 2020 had 20, so within range for cinereana, but another candidate from my garden trap on 4th August 2020 had 27, so what am I to make of that?!  I suspect it's another cinereana but until and unless the possible ranges for each species are clarified I don't think I can record it as one or the other.  One or two other genitalic differences have been suggested for these two but I've not been able to make sense of any other character when comparing to images online.



Grey Poplar Bell Epinotia nisella or Grey Aspen Bell Epinotia cinereana, North Elmham, 4th August 2020 - showing aedeagus plate where cornuti attach



Spruce Bell Zeiraphera ratzeburgiana - One in the garden trap on 4th July 2020, my third here and my first anywhere since 2016.

Spruce Bell Zeiraphera raatzeburgiana, North Elmham, 4th July 2020



Cock's-head Bell Zeiraphera isertana - 3 in the garden between 24th June and 24th July 2019 and 3 between 23rd July and 8th August 2020, my best showing heres of a species that had previously only averaged one a year.  Also 2 at the meadows in 2019 and one at Bintree Wood in 2020.

male Cock's-head Bell Zeiraphera isertana, North Elmham, 24th June 2019



male and female Cock's-head Bells Zeiraphera isertana, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 7th July 2019


female Cock's-head Bell Zeiraphera isertana, North Elmham, 23rd July 2020



Southern Bell Crocidosema plebejana - None.  This species seems to be colonising though it isn't common yet.  I had one in the garden in 2017.


Next page: more Tortricidae

No comments:

Post a Comment