Description


A diary of my mothing activity covering highlights and photos from my moth trapping activities. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I may mention other wildlife sightings here, especially insects, but for birds see my birding diary.

Saturday 13 March 2021

Review of 2019 and 2020 - Moths: Grass moths (Crambidae) - Part 2: Pearls II (Udea to Evergestis)

GRASS MOTHS (CRAMBIDAE)


Rusty-dot Pearl Udea ferrugalis - One in my garden on 4th July 2019 was my earliest ever by over a month and was followed by 10 more between 4th August and 13th September.  An even earlier one turned up in 2020, on 15th June, and was followed by 7 more between 12th September and 28th November.  As is expected for a migrant species this moth varies in numbers here from year to year - 2014 and 2016 were better years but I only trapped 0-2 in 2015, 2017 and 2018.  Elsewhere 11 in Cornwall in the first week of October 2020.

Rusty-dot Pearl Udea ferrugalis, North Elmham, 4th July 2019


Rusty-dot Pearl Udea ferrugalis, North Elmham, 15th June 2020



Pale Straw Pearl Udea lutelais - 7 trapped in the garden between 22nd July and 22nd August 2019: a much poorer showing than before - I've had as many as 61 in a year here (average 37).  2020 was better but still unimpressive, with 19 between 21st July and 20th August.  Singles recorded at the meadows on 6 dates - it's often easier to find in the day time here than coming to light.

Pale Straw Pearl Udea lutealis, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 19th July 2019



Dusky Pearl Udea prunalis - 5 caught in the garden between 8th July and 1st August 2019 and 4 between 30th June and 17th July 2020.  I average about 10 a year here and these were (just) my worst years to date.  Also one at Weybourne on 5th July 2019.

Dusky Pearl Udea prunalis, North Elmham, 30th June 2020



Olive Pearl Udea olivalis - One at Weybourne on 5th July was my only record in 2019 and none in 2020.  Although this species is quite common in parts of Norfolk and occurs pretty much everywhere, I've yet to find one here in North Elmham.  I only ever caught one when I was living at Bawdeswell too, so they do seem to be quite scarce locally.


Mother of Pearl Patania ruralis - Caught at home on 45 nights between 5th July and 9th September 2019.  I can't give a meaningful total as I didn't count them on 18 of these nights, but there were 100 either side of this busy period (including 18 on 23rd July).  The number of nights was slightly lower than in any of the previous 4 years.  They were counted every night in 2020 but there were only 146 over 34 nights between 1st July and 23rd August, far and away my worst showing here (I averaged 365/year in 2015-18).  Also recorded next door, at the village allotments and at the meadows where there were at least 200 feeding on Rosebay Willowherb along the railway on 4th August 2019.  Further afield, recorded at Bintree Wood, Hellesdon, Swanton Great Wood and Row Heath (West Runton).


Mother of Pearls Patania ruralis, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 4th August 2019



Madder Pearl Mecyna asinalis - In the UK this species is restricted to SW coasts and I've never seen it here, but I did have one come to LED lights in NW Spain in February 2020.

Madder Pearl Mecyna asinalis, near Sant Vicenc (Catalonia, Spain), 23rd February 2020



Olive-tree Pearl Palpita vitrealis - One in the garden on 16th October 2020 was the first one I've ever caught this scarce migrant in Norfolk, and very welcome it was too!  It didn't go into the trap but was found resting on the lawn round the outside.  Previously I'd only ever seen one in Cornwall (plus one that Dave caught in Toftwood, but I don't count that as I didn't catch it).

Olive-tree Pearl Palpita vitrealis, North Elmham, 16th October 2020



Rush Veneer Nomophila noctuella - None.  My first blank years for this migrant species since moving in in 2014 though most years I've only had 1-2 (13 in 2016).


Box-tree Moth Cydalima perspectalis - None.  I still haven't connected with this adventive species despite it now getting quite common in Norwich and increasing number of records from other parts of the county.  I should imagine that any local Box growers are rather less keen than I am to see it arrive, as surely it will do before long...


Garden Pebble Evergestis forficalis - An average year in 2019 with at least 47 here between 19th May and 4th September 2019 (not counted on a couple of nights), and just about my best ever year in 2020 with 77 between 7th May and 8th September.  Elsewhere 6 at the meadows.

Garden Pebble Evergestis forficalis, North Elmham, 19th May 2019


Garden Pebble Evergestis forficalis, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 21st May 2019


Garden Pebble Evergestis forficalis, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 7th August 2020



Marbled Yellow Pearl Evergestis extrimalis - None.  I've never seen this species but although it's mainly recorded from the Brecks or round the coast there are a scattering of records elsewhere so it's feasible that one might crop up round here sometime.


Chequered Pearl Evergestis pallidata - 5 caught in the garden between 17th July and 5th August 2019 and 5 between 3rd July and 6th August 2020 - my worst years for this species here so far (averages 9 a year).  Elsewhere 4 at the meadows and one at Bintree Wood.

Chequered Pebble Evergestis pallidata, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 7th July 2019


Chequered Pebble Evergestis pallidata, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 4th August 2019


Chequered Pebble Evergestis pallidata, North Elmham, 3rd July 2020


Next page: more Crambidae

No comments:

Post a Comment