Description


A diary of my mothing activity covering highlights and photos from my moth trapping activities. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I may mention other wildlife sightings here, especially insects, but for birds see my birding diary.

Wednesday 10 March 2021

Review of 2019 and 2020 - Moths: Tortrix Moths (Tortricidae) (Part 14: Piercers III (Pammene))

TORTRIX MOTHS (TORTRICIDAE) (continued)


Early Oak Piercer Pammene giganteana - One came to the Grapholita lobarzewskii pheremone lure here on 10th April 2020.  I've only ever seen 3 of these, all caught using the same lure in 2018.  I don't think I put that lure out in April 2019 which is probably why I didn't get any that year.

Early Oak Piercer Pammene giganteana, North Elmham, 10th April 2020



Black-bordered Piercer Pammene argyrana - One found on an Oak trunk at the meadows on 27th March 2019 followed by another on 19th April.  The latter, when found, had very short wings and had me stumped.  It was like it was a female of one of the flightless moths, except that it looked like a tortrix and I couldn't think of any that had flightless short-winged females.  I duly potted it up and took it home, whereupon I found that it was a perfectly normal-winged male.  Presumably it had just emerged when I found it and hadn't pumped its wings.  A shame I didn't realise that as I would have liked to have watched and photographed it doing it.  These were only my second and third examples of this species - I've not had it at home yet.  Smart little moths!  None in 2020.

female Black-bordered Piercer Pammene argyrana, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 27th March 2019


male Black-bordered Piercer Pammene argyrana, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 19th April 2019



Blotched Piercer Pammene albuginana - None.  I've only ever seen one of these and it wasn't local to here.  It's pretty scarce but there's a chance of it turning up locally.


Acorn Piercer Pammene fasciana - Caught on 3 consecutive nights 23rd to 25th July 2019.  None at home in 2020, my first blank year here but I usually only get one a year so it was bound to happen sooner or later.  One at Bintree Wood on 24th July 2020.


Fruitlet-mining Tortrix Pammene rhediella - A moth that wasn't really on my radar so it was all the more delightful to catch one flying around a Hawthorn hedge at the meadows on 24th April 2020.  Pretty little thing!


Fruitlet-mining Tortrix Pammene rhediella, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 24th April 2020



Regal Piercer Pammene regiana - One at the meadows on 29th June 2019, spotted on the underside of a Hornbeam leaf (next to a Sycamore).  Unfortunately it was too high up to reach in order to get a good look at it.  I saw one here in 2018, the only other one I've ever seen.

Regal Piercer Pammene regiana, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 29th June 2019



Sycamore Piercer Pammene aurita - None in 2019.  Despite having 2-3 at Bawdeswell when I lived there I didin't manage to find the species in the North Elmham area until 2020 when one at Bintree Wood on 24th July and the first one in my garden on 7th August.

Sycamore Piercer Pammene aurita, Bintree Wood, 24th July 2020


Sycamore Piercer Pammene aurita, North Elmham, 7th August 2020



Orange-spot Piercer Pammene aurana - 3 at the meadows on 21st June 2019 and one on 29th June.  I've not seen this species at home but don't particularly expect to as it's a day-flying species.  None in 2020.

Orange-spot Piercer Pammene aurana, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 21st June 2019



Little Beech Piercer Strophedra weirana - I've only seen this species a couple of times and never locally.  No reason why it shouldn't turn up here though.


Little Oak Piercer Strophedra nitidana - Perhaps a bit less likely to turn up here than weirana.  I've only ever seen one in the Brecks.


Next page: Leopard Moths (Cossidae) plus

No comments:

Post a Comment