Description


A diary of my mothing activity covering highlights and photos from my moth trapping activities. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I may mention other wildlife sightings here, especially insects, but for birds see my birding diary.

Monday 19 April 2021

Review of 2019 and 2020 - Bugs: Ground Bugs

GROUND BUGS (LYGAEIDAE)


Cymus glandicolor - One on Pendulous Sedge by the dyke by the railway at the bottom of the meadows on 25th May 2020, the first time I've found this species.

Cymus glandicolor, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 25th May 2020



Drymus brunneus - My first examples of this species found in the garden moth trap on 22nd April and 3rd December 2019.  The second was particularly troublesome to identify as it only seemed to have a single small tooth/spine on its front femora, leading me away from Drymus.  However on very careful examination in good light and held at just the right angle under the microscope I could see two small shiny spots on the underside of the femora close to the small tooth which were presumably the spines, albeit so short they didn't actually project when viewed from the side (or maybe the actual spines had broken off somehow and these were their bases?).  The brown rear section of the pronotum was much less obvious than I had expected, but clearly present when looked for carefully.  In addition to these a nymph found on 21st July was very probably this species - thanks to Uģis Piterāns and Tristan Bantock for input on this via Twitter.

Drymus brunneus, North Elmham, 22nd April 2019


Drymus brunneus, North Elmham, 3rd Decenber 2019



probable Drymus brunneus nymph, North Elmham, 21st July 2019



Nettle Ground Bug Heterogaster urticae - It's not every day that you're sitting in your study and a lifer walks across the desk underneath your arms, but that's what happened on 11th March 2019, and then I found another in my study on 23rd March.  They had both presumably flown in through the window, though whether it's normal for them to come indoors I'm not sure.  My study is a bit of a mess but last time I checked there weren't any nettle beds growing in it.  I found another on a wooden fencepost at the meadows on 30th October 2020.

Nettle Ground Bug Heterogaster urticae, North Elmham, 11th March 2019


Nettle Ground Bug Heterogaster urticae, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 30th October 2020



European Chinchbug Ischnodemus sabuleti - I found one of these walking along a fallen willow branch at the meadows on 20th April 2019, a new bug for me.  Then one swept from Meadowsweet not far from the first one on 20th July 2020.

European Chinchbug Ischnodemus sabuleti, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 20th April 2019


European Chinchbug Ischnodemus sabuleti, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 20th July 2020



Birch Catkin Bug Kleidocerys resedae - A bare minimum of 300 on Downy Birch catkins at the meadows on 6th June 2019 with smaller numbers subsequently.  I noticed large numbers on Birch at the allotments around the same time so perhaps a good year for them, although it wasn't until 25th July that I recorded them in my garden moth trap.  I found a nymph on 10th August and then trapped 6 adults between 10th October and 1st November.  Also a nymph at Foxley Wood on 17th August.  Far fewer in 2020, but at the meadows that was because the birches had been chopped down by the railway company in the meantime.  At home in 2020, single adults in the garden moth trap on 12th April and 19th August.

Birch Catkin Bug Kleidocerys resedae, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 6th June 2019


nymph of Birch Catkin Bug Kleidocerys resedae, North Elmham, 10th August 2019


nymph of Birch Catkin Bug Kleidocerys resedae, North Elmham, 15th August 2019 (same individual as above but after moulting)


Birch Catkin Bug Kleidocerys resedae, North Elmham, 12th April 2020



Nysius huttoni - My first record of this species was an individual which emerged in a pot in which I had overwintered a leaf-mine of the moth Ectoedemia quinquella.  I presume an earlier life-stage of it had either been on the Oak leaf I collected (from the Cathedral Meadows on 2nd November 2018) or in the compost that I had put in the bottom of the pot (from my garden on or shortly after the same day).

Nysius huttoni, North Elmham, 24th April 2019



Scolopostethus affinis - Having recorded one at the Cathedral Meadows in 2018 I recorded my first 3 for the garden in 2019, on 3rd July, 2nd September and 21st December (all to MV light).  Two more in 2020, one emerging in a pot containing an over-wintered leaf-mine of the moth Tischeria ekebladella (in an Oak leaf) on 29th March and one in the moth trap on 9th November.

Scolopostethus affinis, North Elmham, 3rd July 2019


Scolopostethus affinis, North Elmham, 2nd September 2019


Scolopostethus affinis, North Elmham, 29th March 2020



Scolopostethus grandis - One in the garden moth trap on 7th April 2020.  At 4.6mm it was significantly larger than the affinis from a few days earlier (which I still had so could compare side by side) and also differed in having dark tips to the second antennal segment and much smaller mesosternal tubercles.  Interestingly both this and the affinis I was looking at at the same time had two antennal segments fused on one antenna.  I see this a lot with springtails but haven't noticed it with bugs before.

Scolopostethus grandis, North Elmham, 7th April 2020



Stygnocoris fuligineus - My first record of this species turned up in a pheremone lure trap intended for Red-belted Clearwings, in my garden on 16th May 2019.

Stygnocoris fuligineus, North Elmham, 16th May 2019


Next page: Miridae

No comments:

Post a Comment