Description


A diary of my mothing activity covering highlights and photos from my moth trapping activities. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I may mention other wildlife sightings here, especially insects, but for birds see my birding diary.

Wednesday 28 April 2021

Review of 2019 and 2020 - Bugs: Damsel Bugs, Assassin Bugs, Water Boatmen and Pondskaters

DAMSEL BUGS (NABIDAE)


Tree Damsel Bug Himacerus apterus - I found my first on Broom (under Oaks) at the Cathedral Meadows on 7th August 2019 and followed this up with one to light at Row Heath (West Runton) on 31st August and one in my garden moth trap on 21st September, then another one in the garden on 1st August 2020.

Tree Damsel Bug Himacerus apterus, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 7th August 2019


Tree Damsel Bug Himacerus apterus, North Elmham, 21st September 2019


Tree Damsel Bug Himacerus apterus, North Elmham, 1st August 2020



Ant Damsel Bug Himacerus mirmicoides - Having first seen this species in Cornwall in 2018 I found one resting on a tree trunk at the meadows on 13th February 2019 and one on a wooden gate there on 8th November 2020.


Ant Damsel Bug Himacerus mirmicoides, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 13th February 2019


Ant Damsel Bug Himacerus mirmicoides, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 8th November 2020



Field Damsel Bug Nabis ferus - I eventually found this, the commonest (?), or at least one of the commonest, species of damsel bug at the meadows in 2018.  I added it to my garden bug list on 9th August 2019 when I caught one in my moth trap and then had a crop of 4 here between 7th August and 8th September 2020.

Field Damsel Bug Nabis ferus, North Elmham, 9th August 2019


Field Damsel Bug Nabis ferus, North Elmham, 7th September 2020




-----------------------------------



ASSASSIN BUGS (REDUVIIDAE)


Empicoris vagabundus - I briefly saw what I am fairly sure was this species in my moth trap on 10th August 2020 but frustratingly managed to lose it before confirming what I was seeing.  Would have been my first. 


Fly Bug Reduvius personatus - Singles in (or on) my moth trap on 1st and 23rd June 2019 and then 2 on 29th June.  None in 2020.  I didn't have any in 2018 but had 2 in 2016 and 4 in 2017.

Fly Bug Reduvius personatus, North Elmham, 1st June 2019




-----------------------------------



WATER BOATMEN (CORIXIDAE)

Frustratingly many of the Water Boatmen I find coming to light are females which cannot be identified to species.  I haven't detailed those below.


Callicorixa praeusta - A male to light at the Cathedral Meadows on 30th June 2019, 2 males among several water boatmen to light there on 15th September.  Then in 2020 singles to light there on 18th July and 8th September 2020.

male Callicorixa praeusta, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 15th September 2019


male Callicorixa praeusta, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 8th September 2020



Hesperocorixa sahlbergi - One in my garden moth trap on 31st July 2020, the first time I've recorded this species.


male Hesperocorixa sahlbergi, North Elmham, 31st July 2020 - showing its right paramere



Paracorixa concinna - One to LEDs at Bintree Wood on 24th July 2020, the first time I've identified this species.

male Paracorixa concinna, Bintree Wood, 24th July 2020



Sigara dorsalis - None.  I caught this species at home in 2017.


Sigara falleni - One in the garden moth trap on 17th July 2020.  I caught this species here before in 2017.

male Sigara falleni, North Elmham, 17th July 2020



Sigara lateralis - Singles came to light on 23rd June and 8th September 2020, the first time I've recorded this species.

male Sigara lateralis, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 23rd June 2020


male Sigara lateralis, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 8th September 2020




-----------------------------------



PONDSKATERS (GERRIDAE)

Given their habit of staying on the surface of water just out of reach I'm yet to catch a pondskater in order to give it close enough examination to identify to species.  At the meadows Pondskaters seen in the ditch running alongside the railway on 24th April and 19th August 2020.

unidentified Pondskater Gerris sp., North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 24th April 2020


No comments:

Post a Comment