Description


A diary of my mothing activity covering highlights and photos from my moth trapping activities. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I may mention other wildlife sightings here, especially insects, but for birds see my birding diary.

Monday 19 April 2021

Review of 2019 and 2020 - Bugs: Rhopalid Bugs and Tortoise Shieldbugs

 RHOPALID BUGS (RHOPALIDAE)


Chorosoma schillingi - One at Winterton on 19th August 2019 which was caught by Andrew Brown and shown to me, and one at Brancaster on 2nd July 2020 with Will and Sarah.

Chorosoma schillingi, Winterton, 19th August 2019


Chorosoma schillingi, Brancaster, 2nd July 2020



Rhopalus subrufus - One at the Cathedral Meadows on 25th May 2019, a smart new bug for me.  More in 2020 starting with the first for my garden on my patio door on 11th April, then singles at the meadows on 26th June and 20th July and then 2 swept at Whitwell Street on 12th August.

Rhopalus subrufus, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 25th May 2019


Rhopalus subrufus, North Elmham, 11th Aprtil 2020



Stictopleurus abutilon - Singles found at the Cathedral Meadows on 8th and 11th September 2020, a new species for me, both found feeding on Yarrow (one at night and the other during the day).  Having only recently found S. punctatonervosus not very far away I was fully expecting these to be the same, but upon close examination they proved to be this one.

Stictopleurus abutilon, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 8th September 2020


Stictopleurus abutilon, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 11th September 2020



Stictopleurus punctatonervosus - My first example of this pair of species was at the meadows on 19th August 2020, swept from Ragwort.

Stictopleurus punctatonervosus, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 19th August 2020




-----------------------------------



TORTOISE SHIELDBUGS (SCUTELLERIDAE)


Tortoise Shieldbug Eurygaster testudinaria- One at Winterton on 19th August 2019 (swept by Steve Lane) was new for me but I found 2 of my own in 2020, the first at Foxley Wood on 10th July and then the second at the meadows on 20th July.

Tortoise Shieldbug, Winterton, 19th August 2019


Tortoise Shieldbug, Foxley Wood, 10th July 2020


Tortoise Shieldbug, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 20th July 2020


Next page: Anthocoridae

No comments:

Post a Comment