Description


A diary of my mothing activity covering highlights and photos from my moth trapping activities. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I may mention other wildlife sightings here, especially insects, but for birds see my birding diary.

Monday 12 April 2021

Review of 2019 and 2020 - Brown Lacewings (Hemerobiidae) and Sponge Flies (Sisyridae)

BROWN LACEWINGS (HEMEROBIIDAE)


Hemerobius humulinus - 10 recorded in my garden in 2019, exactly the same number that I recorded in 2018 and slightly more than in 2017.  The first on 7th April was found on my patio doors (not attracted to indoor lights as they hadn't been on) and the rest were in the moth trap between 28th June and 7th September.  The early one was much more strongly marked than the others.  A poor year in 2020 produced 3 here between 4th and 21st August and one at the meadows on 16th September.

Hemerobius humulinus, North Elmham, 7th April 2019


Hemerobius humulinus, North Elmham, 28th June 2019


Hemerobius humulinus, North Elmham, 4th August 2020


Hemerobius humulinus, North Elmham, 12th August 2020


Hemerobius humulinus, North Elmham, 21st August 2020


Hemerobius humulinus, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 16th September 2020



Hemerobius lutescens - Singles at the meadows on 21st and 25th May 2019 then 11 recorded at home (mostly in the garden moth trap) between 25th May and 29th September.  A poor showing compared to 2018 when I recorded 38 here.  2020 was a little better with 18 in the garden moth trap between 31st July and 22nd September.  I think 3 larvae found on a gatepost at the meadows on 12th October 2019 may have been this species but I am not certain.

Hemerobius lutesecens, North Elmham, 25th May 2019


Hemerobius lutesecens, North Elmham, 10th August 2019


possible Hemerobius lutesecens larva, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 12th October 2019


Hemerobius lutesecens, North Elmham, 31st July 2020


Hemerobius lutesecens, North Elmham, 14th August 2020


Hemerobius lutesecens, North Elmham, 19th August 2020



Hemerobius marginatus - None.  I've never seen this species and it doesn't seem to be very common in Norfolk, but I've found rarer species so must be in with at least half a chance of finding this one.


Hemerobius micans - Caught in the garden moth trap on 26th July 2019 and 11th June and 22nd August 2020.  This species is normally scarcer here than the previous two species.  Elsewhere netted at the meadows on 22nd May 2019 and 28th September 2020.

Hemerobius micans, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 22nd May 2019


Hemerobius micans, North Elmham, 26th July 2019


Hemerobius micans, North Elmham, 11th June 2020


Hemerobius micans, North Elmham, 27th August 2020


Hemerobius micans, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 28th September 2020



Hemerobius nitidulus - None.  I caught one in my garden in August 2018 but it's a species with only a handful of records in Norfolk.


Hemerobius pini - I found my first of these along a forest path near Salen on Mull on 12th June 2019.  There is, or at least in 2016 there was, only a single record of this species in Norfolk.

Hemerobius pini, south of Salen, 12th June 2019



Hemerobius stigma - One at Weybourne on 5th July 2019 was only my second example of this species following one in my garden the previous August.  None here in 2019 but individuals caught in the moth trap on 30th and 31st August 2020.

Hemerobius stigma, Weybourne, 5th July 2019


Hemerobius stigma, North Elmham, 30th August 2020


Hemerobius stigma, North Elmham, 31st August 2020



Micromus paganus - None.  I caught 2 of these at different sites in 2016 but haven't had any since.  This is one I ought to find more often.


Micromus variegatus - A total of 33 recorded in my garden moth trap between 11th July and 3rd September 2019.  These included an impressive count of 15 on what was an excellent night for green lacewings, but not for other brown lacewings, 25th July.  Even with this good night, the total was lower than in 2018 when I caught 55 at home.  Given those numbers it was disappointing to only catch 6 in 2020, between 8th July and 15th August.  Elsewhere 3 next door and one at Swanton Great Wood, all in August 2019.  I used to think this was the easiest of the common brown lacewings to identify and began to identify them in the field without taking them in for closer examination, but then I discovered some photos of Psectra diptera online which look extremely similar (e.g. on NatureSpot which is usually quite a reliable site for IDs) - so now I'm back to examining them all carefully.

Micromus variegatus, North Elmham, 8th July 2020



Psectra diptera - None.  I've never seen this sepcies but it sounds like it might be reasonably common, just not found by the sort of approaches I usually employ (like light trapping).


Sympherobius fuscescens - None.  I've never seen this species but although it's relatively scarce there are a handful of Norfolk records so must be a possibility.


Sympherobius pellucidus - A male in my garden moth trap on 29th May 2019 was the first record for Norfolk.




Sympherobius pellucidus, North Elmham, 29th May (showing forewing in second and third photos and the partially cleared tip of the abdomen in the last photo)



Sympherobius pygmaeus - None.  I caught one here in 2018 but it's rarely recorded in Norfolk (2 records prior to 2016) - not sure if mine was the third or not.


Wesmaelius concinnus - None.  I've never found this species but there are a handful of records in Norfolk.


Wesmaelius nervosus - Singles caught in my garden moth trap on 24th July 2019 and 18th July and 16th September 2020.  Also one to light at Swanton Great Wood on 27th August 2019.  I'd only recorded one here before, in 2018. 

Wesmaelius nervosus, North Elmham, 24th July 2019


Wesmaelius nervosus, Swanton Great Wood, 27th August 2019



Wesmaelius nervosus, North Elmham, 18th July 2020 (showing tip of abdomen)



Wesmaelius nervosus, North Elmham, 16th September 2020 (showing tip of abdomen)



Wesmaelius subnebulosus - None.  I've only caught this species here once, in 2017.  Sounds like this species tends to crop up more in more urban situations.



This larva is completely unidentified - I guess it's most likely one of the Brown Lacewings but if anyone can help narrow it down please shout.

unidentified (?Brown) lacewing larva, Titchwell, 1st June 2019




-----------------------------------



SPONGE FLIES (SISYRIDAE)


Sisyra fuscata - Singles caught in my garden moth trap on 11th and 24th July 2019 and then on 4 dates between 17th July and 7th August 2020.  I have previously caught this species here in June 2017 and July 2018.  I think this is the only species of Sponge Fly to have been recorded in Norfolk (it is also known as Sisyra nigra).

male Sisyra fuscata, North Elmham, 24th July 2019



female Sisyra fuscata, North Elmham, 17th July 2020


male Sisyra fuscata, North Elmham, 23rd July 2020


Return to Lacewings index here

No comments:

Post a Comment