Description


A diary of my mothing activity covering highlights and photos from my moth trapping activities. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I may mention other wildlife sightings here, especially insects, but for birds see my birding diary.

Tuesday 16 February 2021

Review of 2019 and 2020 - Moths: Golds (Micropterigidae), Purples (Eriocraniidae) and Swifts (Hepialidae)

GOLDS (MICROPTERIGIDAE)


Red-barred Gold Micropterix tunbergella - None.  I'm yet to find this species anywhere but I reckon there's a chance of finding it on the Hawthorn flowers at the meadows.  Probably not much chance of finding it at home.


Black-headed Gold Micropterix mansuetella - None.  Another one I'm not expecting to find at home, but perhaps half a chance of getting them at the meadows someday.


White-barred Gold Micropterix aruncella - None.  Perhaps a bit more likely that than the previous species to turn up at the meadows and who knows, maybe even at home one day.


Plain Gold Micropterix calthella - Up to 10+ at the meadows between 12th and 25th May 2019 and up to 7 between 25th April and 15th May 2020.  I've not recorded this at home, and not really expecting it either.


Plain Golds Microtperix calthella, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 25th April 2020



-----------------------------------


PURPLES (ERIOCRANIIDAE)


Common Oak Purple Dyseriocrania subpurpurella - One in my garden moth trap on 11th April 2020 was only my second here (following one in 2016).  Singles recorded at the meadows on 3 dates between 21st and 29th April 2019 and on 10th and 24th April 2020.

Common Oak Purple Dyseriocrania subpurpurella, North Elmham, 11th April 2020



White-spot Purple Eriocrania unimaculella - None.  I've never seen this species but there are records reasonably nearby so it may well crop up here sometime.


Mottled Purple Eriocrania sparrmannella - None.  Another one I've never seen, and a striking species that I would very much like to see.  It seems to be fairly widespread, if scarce, so must be a fair chance of coming across it sooner or later.


Small Birch Purple Eriocrania salopiella - None.  I've never caught this species though I did photograph one Dave N caught once.  It's another reasonably widespread species that might turn up here someday.


Washed Purple Eriocrania cicatricella - None.  Yet another scarce but widespread member of the family that I'm yet to encounter.


Early Purple Eriocrania semipurpurella - A male was netted in flight at the meadows fairly early in the morning on 17th April 2019, only the second time I've confirmed this species.  There were also some unidentified Eriocrania mines in the Downy Birch that was growing along the disused railway (sadly these trees were chopped dowin in the autumn).  I haven't recorded this species at home yet.

Early Purple Eriocrania semipurpurella, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 17th April 2019



Large Birch Purple Eeriocrania sangii - None.  I have recorded this species at home once (2018) - the only Eriocrania that I've recorded here.


-----------------------------------


SWIFTS AND GHOST MOTH (HEPIALIDAE)


Orange Swift Triodia sylvina - 2019 was a below-average year with 14 at home between 7th August and 4th September; also one to light at the meadows, a big female scattering its eggs.  2020 was more typical with 24 between 5th August and 13th September, but none anywhere else.

female Orange Swift, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 22nd August 2019



Common Swift Korscheltellus lupulina - A total of 56 in the garden moth trap between 17th May and 19th June 2019, just about my best year here.  Fewer in 2020 with 30 between 20th May and 21st June.  Also up to 10 at the meadows on 3 dates in 2019 and 2 in 2020.

Common  Swift, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 25th May 2019



Gold Swift Phymatopus hecta - None.  I've never recorded this species at home or at the meadows but it must be a strong possibility as I've seen it at Bintree Wood and Beetley Common.  Its foodplant (Bracken) doesn't grow at the meadows but does grow just a few yards further down the railway line.


Ghost Moth Hepialus humuli - Singles recorded at home on 7 nights between 24th June and 30th July 2019, my joint worst year in 5 for this species.  However 2020 was even worse with singles on just 2 nights, 8th and 9th July.  Also one at the meadows on 9th June 2020.

Ghost Moth, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 9th June 2020



Next page: Pigmies (Nepticulidae)

No comments:

Post a Comment