Description


A diary of my mothing activity covering highlights and photos from my moth trapping activities. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I may mention other wildlife sightings here, especially insects, but for birds see my birding diary.

Sunday 21 February 2021

Review of 2019 and 2020 - Moths: Argents (Argyresthiidae)

ARGENTS (ARGYRESTHIIDAE)

Some of these are stunning and highly distinctive while others can be extremely tricky to identify, even after reference to their genitalia.  I sometimes have to leave them unidentified, and at least two caught in my garden trap in 2019 were not resolved.


Triple-barred Argent Argyresthia trifasciata - One in the garden moth trap on 20th May 2019 was only my second record here following one in May 2018, but 2020 smashed it with 5 between 18th May and 9th June (including 3 on 21st May).

Triple-barred Argent Argyresthia trifasciata, North Elmham, 20th May 2019


Triple-barred Argent Argyresthia trifasciata, North Elmham, 18th May 2020



Juniper Argent Argyresthia dilectella - None.  I've recorded this species here twice (2016 and 2017).


Cypress-tip Moth Argyresthia cupressella -  3 in the garden trap between 1st and 7th June 2019 and 2 in 2020 (22nd May and 14th June).  2-3 a year is typical since the neighbours chopped down the big cypress hedge that bordered our property (which I wasn't at all sad to see go).  Prior to that there were 8-9 a year.


Gold-ribbon Argent Argyresthia brockeella - One in the garden trap on 29th June 2019.  I have 1-2 here most years but none in 2020.  One at Bintree Wood in 2020, on 24th July.

Gold-ribbon Argent Argyresthia brockeella, North Elmham, 29th June 2019



Golden Argent Argyresthia goedartella - Totals of 15 in my garden trap between 23rd July and 27th August 2019 and 14 between 31st July and 3rd September 2020.  Numbers here vary greatly from one year to the next with annual totals varying from 3 to 32.  Also one at Swanton Great Wood in August 2019.

Golden Argent Argyresthia goedartella, Swanton Great Wood, 27th August 2019



Sallow Argent Argyresthia pygmaeella - None.  I've never seen this species but there must be a chance of finding it locally.


Brindled Argent Argyresthia curvella - None.  I've recorded this species here just once (2017).


Netted Argent Argyresthia retinella - One in the garden trap on 21st July 2019 was only my second here following one in 2017.  It was in a very worn state and its identification was assisted by examination of its genitalia. None in 2020.

female Netted Argent Argyresthia retinella, North Elmham, 21st July 2019



Oak-bark Argent Argyresthia glaucinella - Caught in my garden trap on 23rd and 26th June 2020.  My only previous record of this species was a worn example in my garden in 2015 although after taking advice about that one's genitalia I decided not to formally submit it as their genitalic differences are rather subtle.  Based on a combination of internal and external appearance I personally felt sufficiently satisfied about the ID for my own notes but not for the official record.  The 2020 records were fresher, and together with my improved dissection skills, I think these are ok to record formally.


male Oak-bark Argent Argyresthia glaucinella, North Elmham, 23rd June 2020


female Oak-bark Argent Argyresthia glaucinella, North Elmham, 26th June 2020



Blackthorn Argent Argyresthia spinosella - None.  I've only recorded this species here once, in 2018, although some of the unidentified Argyresthia that I've not been able to resolve may have been this species.


Apple-fruit Moth Argyresthia conjugella - None.  This is another species I have recorded here on just one occasion, in 2015.


Brown Rowan Argent Argyresthia semifusca - One in the garden trap on 29th July 2019.  This species is not quite annual here although I had 5 in 2018.  None in 2020.

Brown Rowan Argent Argyresthia semifusca, North Elmham, 29th July 2019



Cherry-fruit Moth Argyresthia pruniella - Singles in my garden trap on 23rd and 29th July 2019 and 3 between 29th June and 7th September 2020.  This species is just about annual here though 1-2 is typical (4 in 2018).  Also singles at the meadows on 26th July and 25th August.

Cherry Fruit-moth Argyresthia pruniella, North Elmham, 23rd July 2019


Cherry Fruit-moth Argyresthia pruniella, North Elmham, 29th June 2020


Cherry Fruit-moth Argyresthia pruniella, North Elmham, 7th September 2020



Hawthorn Argent Argyresthia bonnetella - One here on 4th August 2019.  I seem to get 1-2 here every other year and true to form, none in 2020.

Hawthorn Argent Argyresthia bonnetella, North Elmham, 4th August 2019



Purple Argent Argyresthia albistria - 3 in the garden trap between 31st July and 1st August 2020.  2019 was my first blank year here since moving in in 2014 (though I had more than 2 in a year prior to 2020).

Purple Argent Argyresthia albistria, North Elmham, 5th August 2020



Large Beech Argent Argyresthia semitestacella - None.  I've never found this species, or at least if I have I've never positively identified it (it was a good contender for a worn Argyresthia I caught on 23rd September 2019 but even after examining the genitalia I couldn't rule out a couple of other species - perhaps when I'm better informed about the genitalic differences I will be able to return to this and confirm it one way or the other).


Next page: Lyonetiidae plus


No comments:

Post a Comment