Description


A diary of my mothing activity covering highlights and photos from my moth trapping activities. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I may mention other wildlife sightings here, especially insects, but for birds see my birding diary.

Saturday 20 February 2021

Review of 2019 and 2020 - Moths: Slenders and Midgets (Gracillariidae) (part 5: Phyllonorycter II)

SLENDERS and MIDGETS (GRACILLARIIDAE) (continued)


Sloe Midget Phyllonorycter spinicolella - None in 2019 but I caught 3 in my garden moth trap between 30th July and 20th August 2020, doubling the number I've recorded here (the others all being in 2017-18).  Also one potted from a hedge at the meadows on 3rd August 2020.

female Sloe Midget Phyllonorycter spinicolella, North Elmham, 30th July 2020


female Sloe Midget Phyllonorycter spinicolella, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 3rd August 2020


male Sloe Midget Phyllonorycter spinicolella, North Elmham, 20th August 2020



Cherry Midget Phyllonorycter cerasicolella - A male at Laura's in Hellesdon on 14th July 2019 and a leaf-mine at the meadows on 20th June 2020.  None at home but I've had 2 here before, both in 2017.

male Cherry Midget Phyllonorycter cerasicolella, Hellesdon, 14th July 2019


leaf-mine of Cherry Midget Phyllonorycter cerasicolella, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 20th June 2020



Hawthorn Midget Phyllonorycter corylifoliella - One in my garden trap on 25th July 2019.  They're not regular here - singles in 2016 and 2017 are my only other records.  Also 2 netted at the meadows on 13th July 2020 and one to light there on 7th August.  Leaf-mines found at the meadows in October 2019 and September 2020.

Hawthorn Midget Phyllonorycter corylifoliella, North Elmham, 25th July 2019


leaf-mine of Hawthorn Midget Phyllonorycter corylifoliella, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 14th October 2019


Hawthorn Midget Phyllonorycter corylifoliella, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 13th July 2020


Hawthorn Midget Phyllonorycter corylifoliella, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 7th August 2020


leaf-mine of Hawthorn Midget Phyllonorycter corylifoliella, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 11th September 2020



Firethorn Leaf-miner Phyllonorycter leucographella - Singles at home on 12th and 28th September 2019 and on 4 dates between 12th June and 22nd September 2020.  This species is annual here but never numerous - the 4 in 2020 was my highest total so far.

Firethorn Leaf-miner Phyllonorycter leucographella, North Elmham, 12th September 2019


male Firethorn Leaf-miner Phyllonorycter leucographella, North Elmham, 12th June 2020


female Firethorn Leaf-miner Phyllonorycter leucographella, North Elmham, 22nd August 2020



Willow Midget Phyllonorycter viminiella - I did 3 nights' trapping in my next-door neighbour's garden in 2019 primarily in order to show their visiting grandchildren some moths, which they seem to enjoy.  It's amazing how different the moths are here, just a few yards away from my own garden trapping site.  The previous time I even managed a moth that I've never seen here (or anywhere else), Large Clover Case-bearer Coleophora trifolii and this time I did it again with my first adult Phyllonorycter viminiella, on 7th August.  In 2020 I finally added it to my own garden list with one caught on 31st July.

male Willow Midget Phyllonorycter viminiella, North Elmham, 7th August 2019


male Willow Midget Phyllonorycter viminiella, North Elmham, 31st July 2020



Long-streak Midget Phyllonorycter salicicolella - One in the garden trap on 31st July 2019.  The genitalia were checked but females are tricky even so.  I'm not completely sure the genitalia eliminated hilarella, but supported by external features (e.g. shape of the basal streak, the absence of white at the rear of the vertex) I think the ID is safe.  I've had 3 here before but they're not annual and none found in 2020.

female Long-streak Midget Phyllonorycter salicicolella, North Elmham, 31st July 2019



Sallow Midget Phyllonorycter hilarella - None.  I've never seen this species and there aren't all that many records in the county but there's no reason why it shouldn't occur locally.  The same could be perhaps be said for the even scarcer Southern Midget Phyllonorycter dubitella.


Beech Midget Phyllonorycter maestingella - I think this is the commonest Phyllonorycter in my garden, not very surprisingly since there's a Beech hedge just next to where I trap.  8 in my garden trap between 30th June and 17th August 2019 and 27 between 18th May and 23rd August 2020.  That's my highest annual total, although not far ahead of 24 in 2018.  Also singles at the meadows on 21st April 2019 and 27th April 2020, and mines here in October 2019 and May and September 2020.


female Beech Midget Phyllonorycter maestingella, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 21st April 2019


leaf-mine of Beech Midget Phyllonorycter maestingella, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 9th October 2019


male Beech Midget Phyllonorycter maestingella, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 27th April 2020


male Beech Midget Phyllonorycter maestingella, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 24th June 2020


male Beech Midget Phyllonorycter maestingella, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 10th July 2020


male Beech Midget Phyllonorycter maestingella, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 11th July 2020


male Beech Midget Phyllonorycter maestingella, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 22nd July 2020



Nut-leaf Blister Moth Phyllonorycter coryli - Caught in the garden moth trap on 30th July and 4th August 2020.  Given that next-door's Hazel tree overhangs my garden I would expect to catch more of these than I do but these were my first since 2017.  2 netted in the Millennium Wood in North Elmham on 6th May 2019.  Also occupied mines at the meadows and at Swanton Novers in 2019.

male Nut-leaf Blister Moth Phyllonorycter coryli, Millennium Wood, North Elmham, 6th May 2019


male Nut-leaf Blister Moth Phyllonorycter coryli, North Elmham, 30th July 2020


female Nut-leaf Blister Moth Phyllonorycter coryli, North Elmham, 4th August 2020


Next page: more Gracillariidae



No comments:

Post a Comment