Description


A diary of my mothing activity covering highlights and photos from my moth trapping activities. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I may mention other wildlife sightings here, especially insects, but for birds see my birding diary.

Tuesday 16 February 2021

Review of 2019 and 2020 - Moths: Pigmies (Nepticulidae) (part 3: Trifurcula, Etainia, Fomoria and Zimmermannia)

PIGMIES (NEPTICULIDAE) (continued)


Broom Pigmy Trifurcula immundella - My first example of this genus came to LEDs at the meadows on 22nd August 2019.  The lights had been set close to Broom.  Probably the rarest, or at least the least well-recorded, Neptulicid I found in 2019.  There are a few records from the Brecks but away from there are just two previous records in Norfolk.




male Broom Pigmy Trifurcula immundella, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 22nd August 2019



Dusted Apple Pigmy Bohemannia pulverosella - None.  I've not identified this species yet but it's widespread (if not particularly well-recorded) so should be a feasible future addition to the garden list.


Norway-maple Pigmy Etainia sericopeza - One in my garden moth trap on 31st July 2020.  Recorded here on one previous occasion (in 2018).  Not sure where the nearest Norway Maples are, but presumably not far away.

female Norway-maple Pigmy Etainia sericopeza, North Elmham, 31st July 2020



Maple-seed Pigmy Etainia louisella - My first example of this species came to light at Swanton Great Wood on 27th August 2019.  A possible mine was found at the meadows on 20th June 2020 but I'm not sure enough about that to record it.

male Maple-seed Pigmy Etainia louisella, Swanton Great Wood, 27th August 2019


possible key-mine of Maple-seed Pigmy Etainia louisella, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 20th June 2020



Sycamore-seed Pigmy Etainia decentella - One to light at the meadows on 23rd June 2019.  A relatively easy species to identify, by Nepticulid standards, but worn examples aren't unmistakeable so I double-checked this one.  In 2020, 3 caught in my garden moth trap between 24th June and 14th August.  I have only recorded this species here once before (in 2016).

female Sycamore-seed Pigmy Etainia decentella, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 23rd June 2019


Sycamore-seed Pigmy Etainia decentella, North Elmham, 24th June 2020


Sycamore-seed Pigmy Etainia decentella, North Elmham, 30th July 2020



Hypericum Pigmy Fomoria septembrella - One in the garden moth trap on 6th August 2020, my first adult of this species.

Hypericum Pigmy Fomoria septembrella, North Elmham, 6th August 2020



Oak-bark Pigmy Zimmermannia atrifrontella - One in the garden moth trap on 11th August 2020, which I believe is the first confirmed record for Norfolk.  This species and the very similar Zimmermannia longicauda mine bark rather than leaves, and as it's not very easy to take trees or large branches home with you to rear them through, adults aren't often recorded.  The mines of the two species are inseparable so they are usually recorded as aggs.  I suspect most if not all Norfolk records of the complex are this species, but there don't appear to be any previous records confirmed to species level.  I had struggled to ID this moth when I went through my dissections in the autumn and put it to one side to review later.  It was only while I was preparing these pages that I came across a photo of Zimmermannia atrifrontella and wondered if it might be that.  A check of my photos of the genitalia  confirmed it was one of the two Zimmermannia but the critical bit that separates atrifrontella from longicauda was obscured by the aedeagus.  Thankfully I'd kept the slide and by looking at it from underneath I could confirm that it was atrifrontella.


Oak-bark Pigmy Zimmermannia albifrontella, North Elmham, 11th August 2020


Next page: more Pigmies (Nepticulidae)


No comments:

Post a Comment