Description


A diary of my mothing activity covering highlights and photos from my moth trapping activities. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I may mention other wildlife sightings here, especially insects, but for birds see my birding diary.

Saturday 27 February 2021

Review of 2019 and 2020 - Moths: Gelechiids (Gelechiidae) (Part 4: Nebs - subfamily Anomologinae II)

GELECHIIDS (GELECHIIDAE) (continued)


Subfamily ANOMOLOGINAE (continued)


Burdock Neb Metzneria lappella
- 10 in the garden between 22nd June and 4th July 2019 and 6 between 19th June and 31st July 2020; also 4 at Weybourne on 5th July.  I average about 8-9 here a year.  I don't find the darker examples of this species very easy to separate from metzneriella so tend to check the genitalia of any that are on the darker end of the spectrum (and some worn ones).  This is by far the commoner of the two in my experience.

male Burdock Neb Metzneria lappella, North Elmham, 30th June 2019


female Burdock Neb Metzneria lappella, North Elmham, 10th July 2019



Meadow Neb Metzneria metzneriella - One in my garden moth trap on 22nd June 2019.  For all my nervousness about separating this species from darker examples of lappella, I was pretty sure from the off that this one would prove to be metzneriella, and so it proved.  Only my second here following one in 2017.


male Meadow Neb Metzneria metzneriella, North Elmham, 22nd June 2019



Dark Fleabane Neb Apodia bifractella - 10 at Foxley Wood on 17th August 2019, the only site where I've seen this species previously.  They were all on Fleabane flowerheads in sunshine and all disappeared around mid afternnon.  2 at Whitwell Street on 12th August 2020, also on Fleabane but later in the day.


Bracken Neb Monochroa cytisella - One in Bintree Wood on 24th July 2020, my first local record.  There's no Bracken growing at the meadows or here in the garden but there's plenty along the railway in between, including some that's a stone's throw from the meadows, so I'm optimistic that I'll get one either there or here before too long.


Bracken Neb Monochroa cytisella, Bintree Wood, 24th July 2020



Common Plain Neb Monochroa tenebrella - One netted at the meadows on 1st June 2020 and then on 13th June one found on an Ox-eye Daisy in the same place and 2 more swept from Bird's-foot Trefoil a few steps away.  Apart from 2 in 2019 there hadn't been any other records in Norfolk since the 90s, but 2020 was clearly a good year for them as they were recorded at 3 other sites in the county too.


Common Plain Neb Monochroa tenbebrella, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 1st June 2020


Common Plain Neb Monochroa tenbebrella, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 13th June 2020



Buff-marked Neb Monochroa lucidella - one at Weybourne on 5th July 2019.  I've recorded this species twice before, here in North Elmham in 2015 and 2016.

female Buff-marked Neb Monochroa lucidella, Weybourne, 5th July 2019



Wainscot Neb Monochroa palustrellus - I was very happy to add this striking species to the garden list when I caught one in the garden trap on 30th July 2019, and then I caught another one on 22nd July 2020.  I have seen a couple elsewhere before but there were no previous records in this or the neighbouring 10k squares (although it was recorded in 3 neighbouring squares in 2020).


Wainscot Neb Metzneria palustrellus, North Elmham, 30th July 2019



Wainscot Neb Metzneria palustrellus, North Elmham, 22nd July 2020



Painted Neb Oxypteryx wilkella - 4 at Brancaster on 2nd July 2020.  Although I have recorded this species here before (in 2015) it's not one I would expect to see here on a regular basis - there hasn't ever been another record in this or the surrounding 10k squares.

Painted Neb Oxypteryx wilkella, Brancaster, 2nd July 2020



Two-spotted Neb Oxypteryx atrella - None.  I had singles here in each of the previous 3 years.


Next page: more Gelechiidae

No comments:

Post a Comment