Description


A diary of my mothing activity covering highlights and photos from my moth trapping activities. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I may mention other wildlife sightings here, especially insects, but for birds see my birding diary.

Wednesday 3 February 2021

Review of 2019 and 2020 - Dragonflies

DRAGONFLIES (ODONATA)

Most of my dragonfly records in 2019 and 2020 came from the Cathedral Meadows, although I've got to say that this isn't the best site for dragonfly recording despite its proximity to the River Wensum.  In addition I had one trip out to Winterton primarily to look for dragonflies in 2019 and one to see the Southern Migrant Hawkers in 2020.  Certainly my worst years for recording dragonflies since I learned how to identify them, though I suspect that had more to do with the limited extent of my travels away from North Elmham than anything else.

There are just too many to fit on a single page so I've split them over two pages (one covering the damselflies and one covering the larger dragonflies).  For consistency with the other parts of this review, a representative from each family is shown below:


Banded Demoiselle


Emerald Damselfly


Small Red-eyed Damselfly


Southern Migrant Hawker - a completely new species for me in 2020


Golden-ringed Dragonfly (on Mull)


Four-spotted Chaser


No comments:

Post a Comment