Description


A diary of my mothing activity covering highlights and photos from my moth trapping activities. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I may mention other wildlife sightings here, especially insects, but for birds see my birding diary.

Saturday 20 February 2021

Review of 2019 and 2020 - Moths: Slenders and Midgets (Gracillariidae) (part 7: Cameraria and Phyllocnistis Leaf-miners)

SLENDERS and MIDGETS (GRACILLARIIDAE) (continued)


Maple Midget Phyllonorycter acerifoliella - None in 2019 but new to my garden in 2020 when I caught 3, on 31st July and 5th and 8th August.  Also found at the meadows on 27th April and 17th May 2020.

male Maple Midget Phyllonorycter acerifoliella, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 27th April 2020


male Maple Midget Phyllonorycter acerifoliella, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 17th May 2020


male Maple Midget Phyllonorycter acerifoliella, North Elmham, 8th August 2020



White-bodied Midget Phyllonorycter joannisi - None.  I've only ever seen this species at one location (Bittering) where good numbers were found on Norway Maple trunks in 2014 (and fewer in 2017) but I didn't look here in 2019-20.  The capture of Etainia sericopeza here in my garden suggests Norway Maple may grow nearby so finding this joannisi here must be feasible too.


Sycamore Midget Phyllonorycter geniculella - One in my garden trap on 28th September 2019 was the first adult I've ever seen.  Another caught here on 22nd August 2020 was an interesting individual as both valvae showed a long hooked spine on the tip.  I'm not sure how unusual that is but on all the photos of this species' genitalia that I've found so far this spine is only present on the left valva.  I assume it is a variant of this species rather than some exotic species that I've never heard of...  Incidentally, I always gen det these now, after finding what looked absolutely perfect for this species at the meadows in 2018.  My suspicions were aroused because it was flying around Field Maple some distance away from Sycamore so I checked its genitalia and sure enough it was in fact acerifoliella despite its external appearance.

female Sycamore Midget Phyllonorycter geniculella, North Elmham, 28th September 2019


male Sycamore Midget Phyllonorycter geniculella, North Elmham, 22nd August 2020



Horse-chestnut Leaf-miner Cameraria ohridella - 6 in my garden trap between 23rd July and 8th August 2019 and 34 between 20th May and 15th September 2020.  Previous annual totals here had varied between 9 and 21 so these were my worst and best ever years here.  Plenty of them at the meadows though including thousands of mines near the chapel and 20 adults flying beneath them on 16th September 2020.  Elsewhere one next door in 2019 and one at Bintree Wood in 2020.

Horse-chestnut Leaf-miner Cameraria ohridella, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 19th April 2019


Horse-chestnut Leaf-miner Cameraria ohridella, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 13th July 2020



Willow Bent-wing Phyllocnistis saligna - One in my garden trap on 4th August 2019 and a record 8 between 29th July (when 3) and 5th August 2020.  I've trapped this species here every full year I've lived here with 5 in each of the previous 2 years (though I didn't submit some of them as I was caught out when it was lingering as a 'grade 4' for a bit due to potential confusion with a species that hasn't occurred in Norfolk; looks like a more pragmatic approach has been taken now at least until such time as ramulicola is found in Norfolk too).  I checked most in 2019-20 just in case.

male Willow Bent-wing Phyllocnistis saligna, North Elmham, 4th August 2019


male Willow Bent-wing Phyllocnistis saligna, North Elmham, 4th August 2020


male Willow Bent-wing Phyllocnistis saligna, North Elmham, 5th August 2020



Poplar Bent-wing Phyllocnistis unipunctella - One netted at the meadows on 11th September 2019 in the same area as I netted 4 one day in early September 2018.  This is clearly a good place for them despite being 300 yards from the nearest poplars.  I've only ever had one of these at home (in 2016).

Poplar Bent-wing Phyllocnistis unipunctella, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 11th September 2019



Kent Bent-wing Phyllocnistis xenia - None.  I've never seen this recent colonist but with records from north Norfolk, east Norfolk (lots), Norwich area (lots), south Norfolk and west Norfolk it's high time the big glaring gap in the middle of Norfolk got filled.


Next page: Yponomeutidae


No comments:

Post a Comment