Description


A diary of my mothing activity covering highlights and photos from my moth trapping activities. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I may mention other wildlife sightings here, especially insects, but for birds see my birding diary.

Saturday 27 February 2021

Review of 2019 and 2020 - Moths: Gelechiids (Gelechiidae) (Part 5: Groundlings - subfamily Gelechiinae I)

GELECHIIDS (GELECHIIDAE) (continued)


Subfamily GELECHIINAE


Dotted Grey Groundling Athrips mouffetella - One in the garden trap on 23rd July 2019 was my first for 3 years.  I've only seen this species here, twice in 2015 (probably involving one individual) and twice in 2016.

Dotted Grey Groundling Atrhips mouffetella, North Elmham, 23rd July 2019



White-shouldered Groundling Sophronia semicostella - None.  I've only ever seen this species in the Brecks which seems to be its stronghold in Norfolk, but there are widespread records elsewhere so it might crop up locally.


Gorse Groundling Mirificarma mulinella - One in the garden trap on 8th September 2020, my third here following individuals in 2016 and 2018.


Gorse Groundling Mirificarma mulinella, North Elmham, 8th September 2020



Dusky Groundling Aroga velocella - One at the meadows on 30th June 2019, 2 in next-door's garden on 8th August and then singles in my own garden trap on 21st and 23rd August.  For a species that I'd only seen twice here before (in 2014 and 2015) that represents a pretty good showing.  2020 carried on good with 5 caught in the garden between 27th June and 21st August.

Dusky Groundling Aroga velocella, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 30th June 2019


Dusky Groundling Aroga velocella, North Elmham, 8th August 2019


Dusky Groundling Aroga velocella, North Elmham, 21st August 2019


Dusky Groundling Aroga velocella, North Elmham, 23rd August 2019



Dusky Groundlings Aroga velocella, North Elmham, 21st August 2020



Eastern Groundling Chionodes distinctella - 2 at Brancaster on 2nd July 2020, a new moth for me.


Eastern Groundlings Chionodes distinctella, Brancaster, 2nd July 2020



Humped Groundling Psoricoptera gibbosella - One to light at Swanton Great Wood on 27th August 2019 was a completely new moth for me.  As such I thought I would confirm the ID with reference to the genitalia, but as it turned out this was possible without dissection as its highly distinctive uncus was visible protruding from the end of the abdomen.  Even better in 2020 as I caught one in my own garden, on 24th July.


male Humped Groundling Psoricoptera gibbosella, Swanton Great Wood, 27th August 2019 - showing the uncus and valvae tips


male Humped Groundling Psoricoptera gibbosella, North Elmham, 24th July 2020


Next page: more Gelechiidae

No comments:

Post a Comment