Description


A diary of my mothing activity covering highlights and photos from my moth trapping activities. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I may mention other wildlife sightings here, especially insects, but for birds see my birding diary.

Saturday 27 February 2021

Review of 2019 and 2020 - Moths: Gelechiids (Gelechiidae) (Part 2: Crests - subfamilies Dichomeridinae and Apatetrinae)

GELECHIIDS (GELECHIIDAE)


Subfamily DICHOMERIDINAE


Juniper Webber Dichomeris marginella - None.  This marvellous species is sadly lacking from my garden list, in fact the only one I've ever seen was in my old Bawdeswell garden back in 2011.  Time for another methinks...


Lichen Crest Dichomeris alacella - One at the meadows on 7th August 2020.  My only previous record of this species was in the garden in 2016.  This formerly rare species seems to be increasing so hopefully it won't be long before another turns up here.


Lichen Crest Dichomeris alacella, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 7th August 2020



Ash-coloured Crest Acompsia cinerella - 3 between 5th and 12th July 2019 and 4 between 1st July and 1st Augsut 2020, average years for this species that I record here annually.  When I started seeing these they were considered to be quite rare with some records suspected of being mistaken for Orange Crest Helcystogramma rufescens and requiring dissection to confirm.  Well I guess a worn dull rufescens could just about look something vaguely close to these, but it seems a bit of a stretch to me.  I find cinerella to be quite distinctive (if in a dull sort of way) and I'm glad I'm not required to chop them up to prove the records any more.

Ash-coloured Crest Acompsia cinerella, North Elmham, 5th July 2019


Ash-coloured Crest Acompsia cinerella, North Elmham, 1st July 2020



Gorse Crest Brachmia blandella - Recorded here on 27 nights between 24th June and 1st August.  I can't give you a total as I didn't count them on a couple of nights but at least 71.  In the previous 4 years I've seen between 17 and 24 so this represents a very good performance.  2020 was similarly good with 61 on 30 nights between 16th June and 10th August.  Elsewhere 3 at Weybourne and one in Hellesdon in 2019.

Gorse Crest Brachmia blandella, North Elmham, 22nd June 2020



Fen Crest Brachmia inornatella - None.  I had 3 here in 2017-2018 but none before.


Orange Crest Helcystogramma rufescens - A total of 17 in the garden between 6th July and 6th August 2019.  Also one next door on 8th August and 2 at the meadows.  In the previous 4 years I've recorded between 19 and 31 here so this was my worst year for this species since moving to North Elmham.  2020 was below average too, with 22 between 16th July and 8th August.

Orange Crest Helcystogramma rufescens, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 4th August 2019



Subfamily APATETRINAE


Flame Crest Chrysoesthia drurella - One netted in flight at the bottom of the track at the meadows on 15th June 2019 (daytime).  An entirely new moth for me and what a little beauty!

Flame Crest Chrysoesthia drurella, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 15th June 2019



Six-spot Crest Chrysoesthia sexguttella - None.  I've never seen this species and it's never been recorded near here.  There are records scattered around elsewhere in Norfolk so I imagine it might turn up locally one day.



Subfamily THEOTRICINAE


Eyelet Sober Thiotricha subocellea - None.  I've recorded this species a couple of times but have yet to find it in my garden or very locally.


Next page: more Gelechiidae

No comments:

Post a Comment