Description


A diary of my mothing activity covering highlights and photos from my moth trapping activities. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I may mention other wildlife sightings here, especially insects, but for birds see my birding diary.

Saturday 20 February 2021

Review of 2019 and 2020 - Moths: Slenders and Midgets (Gracillariidae) (part 6: Phyllonorycter III)

SLENDERS and MIDGETS (GRACILLARIIDAE) (continued)


Dark Hornbeam Midget Phyllonorycter esperella - It took me a while to realise that the hedgerow trees by the chapel ruins were Hornbeams but once I figured that out I was able to re-visit and identify the leaf-mine I recorded on them in September 2019.  There were 3 more (at least 2 occupied) in September 2020.

leaf-mine of Dark Hornbeam Midget Phyllonorycter esperella, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 30th September 2019






leaf-mines and larvae of Dark Hornbeam Midgets Phyllonorycter esperella, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 16th September 2020



Grey Alder Midget Phyllonorycter strigulatella - None.  I've never seen this species and I think it's quite scarce in Norfolk, but it's been recorded near here (Beetley area) so there must be half a chance of me catching one here.


Common Alder Midget Phyllonorycter rajella - An exception 3 caught in my garden moth trap on 26th June 2020 and one more on 12th August.  I've only ever caught 3 here before, singles in 2014, 2016 and 2017.  At least 4 leaf-mines at Gypsy Lane (Brancaster) on 14th October 2020.


female Common Alder Midgets Phyllonorycter rajella, North Elmham, 26th June 2020


female Common Alder Midget Phyllonorycter rajella, North Elmham, 12th August 2020



Small Birch Midget Phyllonorycter anderidae - None.  A scarce species in Norfolk but a couple of records in central Norfolk and its foodplant grows in my front garden so hopefully I'll find one round here someday.


Fiery Oak Midget Phyllonorycter lautella - None.  I've not found this species locally yet - cracking little moths so look forward to when I do.


Small Elm Midget Phyllonorycter schreberella - One in my garden moth trap on 30th July 2020 was my first ever, and what a sparkling little beauty was!




Small Elm Midget Phyllonorycter schreberella, North Elmham, 30th July 2020



Red Birch Midget Phyllonorycter ulmifoliella - 3 in my garden trap between 25th and 31st July 2019 and 4 between 26th July and 5th August 2020.  I had 3-4 in each of 2017 and 2018 too.


male Red Birch Midget Phyllonorycter ulmifoliella, North Elmham, 31st July 2019


female Red Birch Midget Phyllonorycter ulmifoliella, North Elmham, 26th July 2020


male Red Birch Midget Phyllonorycter ulmifoliella, North Elmham, 4th August 2020


male Red Birch Midget Phyllonorycter ulmifoliella, North Elmham, 5th August 2020



Large Midget Phyllonorycter emberizaepennella - None.  I've never seen this species but although it hasn't been recorded locally it's widespread enough that it ought to be here.


Elm Midget Phyllonorycter tristrigella - One on 5th August 2020.  I've only seen this species twice before, both here in 2018.

female Elm Midget Phyllonorycter tristrigella, North Elmham, 5th August 2020



Small Alder Midget Phyllonorycter stettinensis - 4 mines at Gypsy Lane, Brancaster in October 2020 were my only record.  I have caught this species at home a couple of times but not since 2016.


Broad-barred Midget Phyllonorycter froelichiella - None.  I've not recorded this here yet but it's not far away (I've found it at Beetley Common) so future records could be expected.


Red Hazel Midget Phyllonorycter nicellii - 3 trapped here between 1st and 9th August 2019, the third consecutive year that I've recorded 3 here, and then an unprecedented 10 here between 30th July and 20th August 2020 (including 3 on 10th August).

male Red Hazel Midget Phyllonorycter nicellii, North Elmham, 4th August 2019


male Red Hazel Midget Phyllonorycter nicellii, North Elmham, 9th August 2019


female Red Hazel Midget Phyllonorycter nicellii, North Elmham, 30th July 2020



male Red Hazel Midgets Phyllonorycter nicellii, North Elmham, 10th August 2020


male Red Hazel Midget Phyllonorycter nicellii, North Elmham, 15th August 2020



Dark Alder Midget Phyllonorycter klemannella - None.  I've only caught this one at home once, in 2018.


Honeysuckle Midget Phyllonorycter trifasciella - One in my garden trap on 16th July was new for the garden.  None in 2020.

Honeysuckle Midget Phyllonorycter trifasciella, North Elmham, 16th July 2019


Next page: more Gracillariidae


No comments:

Post a Comment