Description


A diary of my mothing activity covering highlights and photos from my moth trapping activities. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I may mention other wildlife sightings here, especially insects, but for birds see my birding diary.

Saturday 27 February 2021

Review of 2019 and 2020 - Moths: Gelechiids (Gelechiidae) (Part 7: Groundlings - subfamily Gelechiinae III)

GELECHIIDS (GELECHIIDAE) (continued)


Subfamily GELECHIINAE (continued)


Common Groundling Teleiodes vulgella - Singles in the garden trap on 5 nights between 4th and 25th July 2019.  This species is just about annual here but although I had 6 in 2018 previous year totals had ranged from 1-3.  2020 was back down again with just one on 17th July.

Common Groundling Teleiodes vulgella, North Elmham, 25th July 2019



Crescent Groundling Teleiodes luculella - One here on 1st June 2019 was only my second record for the garden following one in 2015

Crescent Groundling Teleiodes luculella, North Elmham, 1st June 2019



Large Groundling Teleiopsis diffinis - Singles here on 28th August and 5th September 2019 and 31st July 2020.  This was a welcome (and I think overdue?) addition to my garden list.  Also one at Bintree Wood on 13th June 2020.

Large Groundling Teleiopsis diffinis, North Elmham, 28th August 2019


Large Groundling Teleiopsis diffinis, North Elmham, 5th September 2019


Large Groundling Teleiopsis diffinis, North Elmham, 31st July 2020



Elm Groundling Carpatolechia fugitivella - One in the garden trap on 17th July 2019 was my second record of this species following one here in 2015.  The 2015 record was the first post 19th century record for Norfolk but there have been nearly 20 since.

male Elm Groundling Carpatolechia fugitivella, North Elmham, 17th July 2019



Suffused Groundling Carpatolechia alburnella - One in my garden moth trap on 29th June 2020.  This was my first here and only my second anywhere.


Suffused Groundling Carpatolechia alburnella, North Elmham, 29th June 2020



Black-speckled Groundling Carpatolechia proximella - None.  I've had just a single record here, in 2015.


Horse-shoe Groundling Altenia scriptella - One in the garden moth trap on 21st May 2020 was a completely new moth for me.


Horse-shoe Groundling Altenia scriptella, North Elmham, 21st May 2020



White-barred Groundling Recurvaria leucatella - Another new moth for me caught in the garden on 6th August 2020.



White-barred Groundling Recurvaria leucatella, North Elmham, 6th August 2020



Pine Groundling Exoteleia dodecella - None.  I've only had one of these here, in 2017.


Black-dotted Groundling Stenolechia gemmella - 2019 was a good year for this species in Norfolk enabling me to see not only my first, but also my second and third, all at different locations.  The first was in my garden trap on 26th August, the second was the following evening at Swanton Great Wood and then there was one at Row Heath (West Runton) later that week on 31st.


Black-dotted Groundling Stenolechia gemmella, North Elmham, 26th August 2019



Wood Groundling Parachronistis albiceps - One in the garden trap on 26th June 2020.  I had 3 of these here in 2018 but I've not recorded this species in the garden any other year.

Wood Groundling Parachronistis albiceps, North Elmham, 26th June 2020


Next page: Batrachedridae plus

No comments:

Post a Comment