Description


A diary of my mothing activity covering highlights and photos from my moth trapping activities. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I may mention other wildlife sightings here, especially insects, but for birds see my birding diary.

Wednesday 24 February 2021

Review of 2019 and 2020 - Moths: Flat-bodies (Depressariidae) (part 2: Depressaria and Telechrysis), Ermels (Ethmiidae) and Cosmets (Cosmopterigidae)

FLAT-BODIES (DEPRESSARIIDAE) (continued)


Parsnip Moth Depressaria radiella - One in my garden moth trap on 22nd April 2020.  This species is unexpectedly scarce here with just 2 previous records (in 2014 and 2015).  I used to see it regularly at Bawdeswell so expected more here.

Parsnip Moth Depressaria radiella, North Elmham, 22nd April 2020



Brown Flat-body Depressaria badiella - None.  I've only seen this species at Winterton and I'm not sure how likely it is to crop up locally.  There's plenty of its foodplants round here but in Norfolk records are pretty much restricted to the coast and one site in the Brecks.


Fen Flat-body Depressaria ultimella - One in my garden trap on 8th November 2020, my first ever autumn record.  I had 1-2 here each spring from 2015 to 2018, so 2019 was my first blank year, but I made up for it with one at the meadows on 22nd April.

male Fen Flat-body Depressaria ultimella, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 22nd April 2019


male Fen Flat-body Depressaria ultimella, North Elmham, 8th November 2020



Chervil Flat-body Depressaria sordidatella - None.  One in my garden in 2016 was the first county record since 1874 so perhaps not all that likely to be repeated quickly.


Streaked Flat-body Depressaria chaerophylli - Singles caught in the garden on 22nd April 2019 (quite a worn and therefore indistinct individual) and 20th May 2020.  I've previously caught this species here in 2016 and 2017 (3).

male Streaked Flat-body Depressaria chaerophylli, North Elmham, 22nd April 2019


female Streaked Flat-body Depressaria chaerophylli, North Elmham, 20th May 2020



Treble-spot Flat-body Telechrysis tripuncta - 2 netted at the meadows early on 1st June 2020, at exactly the same place and the same time of day as I netted 2 on 15th June 2018.  On both occasions it followed a clear night and was quite chilly.  I've caught this species at home once, in 2017.


Treble-spot Flat-body Telechrysis tripuncta, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 1st  June 2020




-----------------------------------


ERMELS (ETHMIIDAE)


Dotted Ermel Ethmia dodecea - One at Hills and Holes on 21st May 2020 but sadly I didn't manage to get a photo.  None at home where I've recorded this species 3 times, twice in 2016 and once in 2017.


Comfrey Ermel Ethmia quadrillella - None.  I've not found this species locally and it's not as widespread as the previous species so not sure how likely it is to crop up round here.


Bordered Ermel Ethmia bipunctella - None.  I've never seen this species but it's not all that far away from here so I have hope.  A lovely fresh example in my garden moth trap would go down very well indeed.



-----------------------------------


COSMETS (COSMOPTERIGIDAE)


Bulrush Cosmet Limnaecia phragmitella - A total of 25 caught at home over 10 nights between 9th  July and 14th August 2019, with a peak of 15 on 25th July.  This is my best year to date but numbers of this species seems to fluctuate wildly.  I caught 4 in 2020 between 16th and 30th July.  Most years it is very scarce or absent but every now and then there are loads.  Good years were 2014 (23 at my old house in Bawdeswell, with no proper trap), 2016 (19 here) and now 2019 (25).  Apart from those years, I had one at Bawdeswell in 2009, 2 here in 2017, one here in 2018 and apart from the 4 in 2020, none at all in any of the other years.  Elsewhere in 2019, one at the meadows on 26th July.

Bulrush Cosmet Limnaecia phragmitella, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 26th July 2019



Hedge Cosmet Cosmopterix zieglerella - None.  I've never seen an adult of this species but it's pretty widespread in Norfolk so I should in theory have a good chance of finding them locally.  It would help if I could find some hops growing in the hedgerows first...


Fen Cosmet Cosmopterix lienigiella - None.  I've only ever seen one of these and it wasn't local, but there are records from the neighbouring 10k square so I must have a chance of finding it at the meadows at least (although their preference for large reed beds might stack the odds against me - there is Common Reed growing by the railway and nearby on the river but you certainly couldn't describe it as a large reed bed).


August Cosmet Sorhagenia rhamniella - None.  This is the only member of the genus that I've ever seen, and only once - one caught in my garden in June 2018.


Next page: Gelechiidae

No comments:

Post a Comment