Description


A diary of my mothing activity covering highlights and photos from my moth trapping activities. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I may mention other wildlife sightings here, especially insects, but for birds see my birding diary.

Wednesday 3 February 2021

Review of 2019 and 2020 - Dragonflies: Hawkers, Goldenrings and Darters

HAWKERS and EMPERORS (family AESHNIDAE)


 
Migrant Hawker Aeshna mixta - Recorded at the meadows on 3rd August and 30th September 2019.  In between, recorded at a few other sites including my garden on 25th August.  Another in my garden on 21st August was, surprisingly, my only record in 2020.


Migrant Hawkers, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 3rd August 2019



Southern Migrant Hawker Aeshna affinis - Having identified Britain's second ever record of this species (from a photo taken by someone else in Sussex and posted on Flickr) I thought it was high time I actually saw one myself, so took the opportunity to pop down to Thompson Common on 7th August 2020.  It was a little difficult to be sure about numbers as individuals did sometimes move between pools but I'm pretty sure there were 6 males, and one was in tandem with a female.



Southern Migrant Hawkers, Thompson Common, 7th August 2020



Norfolk Hawker Aeshna isoceles - 2 at Winteron on 19th August 2019 including one that appeared to be stuck in water when we found it.

Norfolk Hawker, Winterton, 19th August 2019



Brown Hawker Aeshna grandis - 1-2 recorded at the meadows on 29th July and 3rd August 2019 and on 3rd and 12th August 2020.  Also one at Foxley Wood on 11th July 2020 and 2 at Thompson Common on 7th August 2020.  One of the individuals at the meadows was at dusk, flying up and down the track right by where I was standing, but it was so dark I could barely see it let alone identify it.  I was carrying my net by my side (I was looking for moths) and couldn't believe it when the hawker flew straight into it without me even taking a swipe at it.



Brown Hawker, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 3rd August 2020



Southern Hawker Aeshna juncea - Just one at the meadows, on 29th July 2019.  Singles at Foxley Wood on 17th August 2019 and 10th July 2020; also one in the garden on 4th September 2020.


Emperor Anax imperator - A relatively good crop of records at the meadows in 2019 with 6 on 21st June and recorded up to 5th July.  In contrast just one in 2020, on 20th June.  Also recorded at Winterton on 19th August 2019 and Whitwell Street on 12th August 2020.  Lesser Emperor (and Vagrant Emperor) still elude me in Norfolk, not that I've put a great deal of effort into finding them.

Emperor Dragonfly, Winterton, 19th August 2019



-----------------------------------


GOLDENRINGS (family CORDULEGASTRIDAE)


Golden-ringed Dragonfly Cordulegaster boltonii - This was the Odonata highlight of my trip to Mull, a species I've only seen once or twice before.

Golden-ringed Dragonfly, west of Tioran (Mull), 10th June 2019



-----------------------------------


CHASERS, SKIMMERS and DARTERS (family LIBELLULIDAE)


Four-spotted Chaser Libellula quadrimaculata - One on Mull and 3 at Winterton were my only records in 2019 but if that was bad I drew a complete blank in 2020.

Four-spotted Chaser, Winterton, 19th August 2019


Broad-bodied Chaser Libellula depressa - None.  I've yet to find this species at the meadows and didn't record any at all in 2019 or 2020.


Black-tailed Skimmer Orthetrum cancellatum - One at the meadows on 21st June was welcome after I failed to find this species there in 2018.  However there was no repeat in 2020 and I didn't see the species anywhere else either.

Black-tailed Skimmer, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 21st June 2019


Ruddy Darter Sympetrum sanguineum - At least 30 at Winterton on 19th August 2019 and a similar number at Thompson Common on 7th August 2020.  After 3 at the meadows in 2018 it was a shame I couldn't find this species there in either 2019 or 2020.

Ruddy Darter, Winterton, 19th August 2019



Ruddy Darter, Thompson Common, 7th August 2020


Common Darter Sympetrum striolatum - Small numbers at the meadows between 29th July and 9th October 2019 and between 12th August and 11th September 2020.  Also recorded at Foxley Wood and Winterton in 2019, and in my garden on 29th August 2019 and 5th and 11th September 2020.

Common Darter, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 15th August 2019


That's it for the dragonflies - you can return to the Dragonfly index

No comments:

Post a Comment