Description


A diary of my mothing activity covering highlights and photos from my moth trapping activities. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I may mention other wildlife sightings here, especially insects, but for birds see my birding diary.

Tuesday 16 February 2021

Review of 2019 and 2020 - Moths: Pigmies (Nepticulidae) (part 4: Ectoedemia)

PIGMIES (NEPTICULIDAE) (continued)


Black-spot Sallow Pigmy Ectoedmia intimella - None.  Although scarce, this is a widespread species in Norfolk so probably occurs round here.  I've not found it yet, although I did gen det one that Geoff Turner caught at Weybourne in 2019.

male Black-spot Sallow Pigmy Ectoedemia intimella, caught by Geoff Turner at Weybourne between 30th June and 4th July 2019



New Poplar Pigmy Ectoedmia hannoverella - None recorded as being in 2019 or 2020 but in 2019 some emerged from leafmines I had collected from Lynford on 13th October 2018.  From these mines, 3 males and 1 female emerged on 14th April with another female the following day.  I had knowingly collected only 5 mines but a sixth moth resembling hannoverella appeared in my study on 21st April.  Based on external appearance this should have been either hannoverella or turbidella and as the only poplar leaves I had collected were all from the same tree, it was presumably a hannoverella from an unseen second mine in one of those leaves.  The genitalia weren't entirely clear as although from the top they resembled hannoverella, in side view the valvae showed a distinct tooth (but pointing the wrong way for turbidella).



male New Maple Pigmies Ectoedemia hannoverella, 14th April, emerged from mines collected from Lynford, 13th October 2018 (lower two photos show the same individual)



Five-spot Pigmy Ectoedmia quinquella - An occupied mine at the meadows on 30th September 2019.  I've not recorded this species at home yet, and no adults anywhere.

occupied mine of Five-spot Pigmy Ectoedemia quinquella, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 30th September 2019



New Holm-Oak Pigmy Ectoedmia heringella - None.  I've not found this species locally but it's widespread enough to be plausible.


White-banded Pigmy Ectoedmia albifacsciella - A female in my moth trap on 29th June 2019 was new for the garden.


female White-banded Pigmy Ectoedemia albifasciella, North Elmham, 29th June 2019



Spotted Black Pigmy Ectoedmia subbimaculella - I've struggled identifying this species in the past but although their genitalia are rather similar to some other similar-looking species (or at least species that can look similar when worn) I think I've figured out where I was getting confused.  Even so, I have left some 'probables' go as unrecorded to be on the safe side.  Confirmed individuals trapped at home included singles on 24th June, 4th and 13th July and 2 on 26th July 2019, 26th June and 16th and 23rd July 2020.  Also 2 at Weybourne on 5th July 2019 and 2 at the meadows on 23rd June 2020.  This is possibly the commonest species of Neptulicid in my garden trap.  Also occupied mines recorded at the meadows in October and November 2019.

male Spotted Black Pigmy Ectoedemia subbimaculella, North Elmham, 4th July 2019


male Spotted Black Pigmy Ectoedemia subbimaculella, North Elmham, 13th July 2019


female Spotted Black Pigmy Ectoedemia subbimaculella, North Elmham, 26th July 2019


male Spotted Black Pigmy Ectoedemia subbimaculella, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 23rd June 2020


female Spotted Black Pigmy Ectoedemia subbimaculella, North Elmham, 26th June 2020


male Spotted Black Pigmy Ectoedemia subbimaculella, North Elmham, 23rd July 2020



White-spot Pigmy Ectoedmia heringi - occupied mines found at the meadows on 22nd and 27th October 2019.  I'm yet to find an adult of this species.

occupied mine of White-spot Pigmy Ectoedemia heringi, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 22nd October 2019



Broken-barred Pigmy Ectoedmia angulifasciella - None.  I've not come across this species yet but it looks like it's pretty widespread so it probably occurs locally.


Pinch-barred Pigmy Ectoedmia atricollis - None.  I've not come across this species locally but it's another widespread species that probably occurs round here.


Large Birch Pigmy Ectoedmia occultella - None recorded as being in 2019 or 2020 but one emerged in 2019 from leafmines I had collected from Lynford on 13th October 2018.



female Large Birch Pigmy Ectoedemia occultella, 16th April 2019, emerged from mines collected from Lynford, 13th October 2018


Next page: Opostegidae plus



No comments:

Post a Comment