Description


A diary of my mothing activity covering highlights and photos from my moth trapping activities. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I may mention other wildlife sightings here, especially insects, but for birds see my birding diary.

Monday 6 April 2015

Clothes Moth and some bugs

After posting yesterday morning I discovered a Clothes Moth in the house - proved to be Case-bearing Clothes Moth Tinea pellionella.


Case-bearing Clothes Moth Tinea pellionella (female, gen det), North Elmham, 4th April


Dave and I had a look round the patch during the afternoon mainly in the hope of finding some birds but also keeping an eye out for insects.  Many tree trunks were examined, mostly producing nothing, but a single moth was found: March Tubic Diurnea fagella.


March Tubic Diurnea fagella, Bittering, 5th April


This small caterpillar has us stumped - any ideas what it is?  It was on Oak if that helps... [edit 11th April: I think I have an ID now... Common Footman]


Common Footman, Bittering, 5th April


There was also a Birch Catkin Bug Kleidocerys resedae:


Birch Catkin Bug Kleidocerys resedae, Bittering, 5th April


Dave found this leafhopper which I later identified as a Zygina sp. using the very helpful British Bugs websiteZygina suavis is very similar to Zygina tiliae and requires gen detting (I don't know how) to confirm, but under the microscope the dark hind tarsus seems to have a slightly paler base which apparently makes it likely to be suavis.




probable Zygina suavis, Bittering, 5th April


A pleasant mild evening with enough cloud cover to make us think about trapping locally, but we knew it was clearing up and the temperatures would fall, and both of us had other things to be getting on with, so we decided against it.  It did clear up, the temperatures did fall and when I woke up this morning the moon was so bright I thought it was the MV light reflecting in my bedroom window!  If the contents of my home trap are anything to go by then I'm glad we didn't bother trapping elsewhere - just a single March Moth and 2 Early Greys!

No comments:

Post a Comment