Description


A diary of my mothing activity covering highlights and photos from my moth trapping activities. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I may mention other wildlife sightings here, especially insects, but for birds see my birding diary.

Thursday 9 April 2015

An assortment of non-moths

Highlight from a lunchtime wander round Syderstone Common was a new bug for me, Stenocranus major - at least I think that's what it was and it was new genus for me anyway.


Stenocranus major, Syderstone Common, 9th April


Other insects included 2 Brimstones, 2 Peacocks, Small Tortoiseshell, 2 Bloody-nosed Beetles and a variety of Bumble-bees.  No moths though.


Bloody-nosed Beetle, Syderstone Common, 9th April


White-tailed Bumble-bee, Syderstone Common, 9th April


Back at the ranch I found this tiny spider on the landing.  I hate spiders, but can just about cope with them this small.  I think it's Theridion melanurum.

probable Theridion melanurum, North Elmham, 9th April


First thing to the moth light this evening wasn't a moth, but what I at first took to be a baby grasshopper.  I think it was in fact a Slender Groundhopper - the first I've identified though I'm sure I must have seen them before.


Slender Groundhopper, North Elmham, 9th April


Well this is all very well for pan-listing purposes but it ain't much good for the moth list.  Hopefully the next post will be full of moths...

No comments:

Post a Comment