Description


A diary of my mothing activity covering highlights and photos from my moth trapping activities. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I may mention other wildlife sightings here, especially insects, but for birds see my birding diary.

Sunday 26 April 2015

An odd selection

Birding at Burnham Overy this morning I disturbed my first Cinnabar of the year and two more Straw-barred Pearls Pyrausta despicata.  Other insects included this fine Peacock.


Peacock, Burnham Overy, 25th April


Last night was a wet one but also a cooler one, so not so many moths trapped at home.  An odd selection though: Brindled Beauty, Swallow Prominent, 3 Muslin Moths and 3 Hebrew Characters.  It's no surprise that at North Elmham I'm picking up a slightly different range of species compared to my last house at Bawdeswell, but it is a surprise to get 75% of the species in a single catch all species that I never once trapped at Bawdeswell!  But Brindled Beauty, Swallow Prominent and Muslin Moth are all species that never appeared in several years of catching moths at Bawdeswell, despite being common species generally.


 Muslin Moths, North Elmham, 25th April


 Swallow Prominent, North Elmham, 25th April


 Brindled Beauty, North Elmham, 25th April

No comments:

Post a Comment