Description


A diary of my mothing activity covering highlights and photos from my moth trapping activities. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I may mention other wildlife sightings here, especially insects, but for birds see my birding diary.

Tuesday 10 March 2015

Various inverts

Forecast had been quite promising for moths for Sunday night, though by the time evening came it was looking cooler and breezier.  Dave and I arrived at Creaking Gate Lake and even before I got out of the car and felt the cold I had pretty much made up my mind it wasn't going to be worth putting the MV light up.  We had a look round by torchlight anyway, with Chestnut and 4 Dotted Borders the only moths.  Across the road we couldn't find any moths, but the Copper Beech tree whose trunk has hosted all manner of inverts continued to deliver.  Among the woodlice was a Common Striped Woodlouse Philoscia muscorum.  A tiny beetle seems to be my first Salpingus planirostris, a type of Narrow-waisted Bark Beetle.  Centipedes are well beyond my competency but I'd tentatively identify this one as Strigamia crassipes.  Finally I had a go at identifying some slugs too... Tree Slugs I think.


Philoscia muscorum, Bittering, 8th March


Salpingus planirostris, Bittering, 8th March


Centipede, possibly Strigamia crassipes, Bittering, 8th March



Tree Slugs, Bittering, 8th March


A few moths at home, though nothing new.  An Early Moth was probably the same individual I recorded yesterday.  Otherwise 2 March Moths, 4 Hebrew Characters and a Chestnut.

Yesterday was worse with just Common Flat-body Agonopterix heracliana, 2 Hebrew Characters and 2 Chestnuts.

Here's an interesting fact: of 24 Agonopterix heracliana that I've examined this year 23 have been male.


Common Flat-body Agonopterix heracliana, North Elmham, 9th March - another male

No comments:

Post a Comment