Description


A diary of my mothing activity covering highlights and photos from my moth trapping activities. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I may mention other wildlife sightings here, especially insects, but for birds see my birding diary.

Wednesday 25 March 2015

Dark Oak Beauty

Oak Beauty, North Elmham, 24th March


I didn't expect many moths in the trap this morning - there was thick frost on the ground.  From the top all the egg boxes looked empty.  Turned over the top one and this was inside.  A lot of moths - especially quite a few of the geometers - have dark forms and this was one I don't recall seeing before: a dark Oak Beauty.

Not much else in the trap - an Early Grey and 3 Hebrew Characters - and finally another, more typically patterned, Oak Beauty:


Oak Beauty, North Elmham, 24th March


Here they are together:


Oak Beauties, North Elmham, 24th March

No comments:

Post a Comment