Description


A diary of my mothing activity covering highlights and photos from my moth trapping activities. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I may mention other wildlife sightings here, especially insects, but for birds see my birding diary.

Saturday 21 March 2015

Lesser Thorn-tipped Longhorn Beetle

Last night was the best so far this year for moths - 31 moths of 9 species.  Nothing new for the year though: 9 Common Flat-bodies Agonopterix heracliana, March Moth, 2 Shoulder Stripes, 2 Small Quakers, 6 Common Quakers, 3 Clouded Drabs, Twin-spotted Quaker, 6 Hebrew Characters and Early Grey.

A tiny insect on one of the egg-trays had me confused for a while.  Under a lens things became clearer - it was a new species for me, the Lesser Thorn-tipped Longhorn Beetle Pogonocherus hispidus.

Lesser Thorn-tipped Longhorn Beetle Pogonocherus hispidus, North Elmham, 20th March

No comments:

Post a Comment