Description


A diary of my mothing activity covering highlights and photos from my moth trapping activities. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I may mention other wildlife sightings here, especially insects, but for birds see my birding diary.

Thursday 21 May 2015

Muslin Moth madness

Monday night was so cold I got just 3 moths: Muslin Moth and 2 Hebrew Characters.  Tuesday night was only slightly better with Little Dwarf Elachista canapennella, Green Carpet, Common Pug, Swallow Prominent and Muslin Moth.

On Wednesday I discovered a Yellow-faced Bell Notocelia cynosbatella during the day and in the evening 2 Light Brown Apple Moths Epiphyas postvittana were a belated addition to the year-list.

 
Yellow-faced Bell Notocelia cynosbatella, North Elmham, 20th May



Light Brown Apple Moths Epiphyas postvittana, North Elmham, 20th May


Among the few others were a whopping 8 Muslin Moths.  With a year-total now reaching 46 this becomes my 7th commonest moth this year - remarkable given that in all the years I was at Bawdeswell I never recorded a single Muslin Moth there.  They seem to like it cold - I don't tend to get any on warmer nights.

The rest were Common Pug, Brimstone Moth, White Ermine, 2 Hebrew Characters and Treble Lines

 White Ermine, North Elmham, 20th May

No comments:

Post a Comment