Description


A diary of my mothing activity covering highlights and photos from my moth trapping activities. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I may mention other wildlife sightings here, especially insects, but for birds see my birding diary.

Friday 15 May 2015

Chocolate-tip

Tuesday night was much poorer for moths though one nice one was new for the year: Chocolate-tip.

Chocolate-tip, North Elmham, 12th May


Other than that 6 Muslin Moths was the most remarkable record - especially considering that I never got one in all the years I was at Bawdeswell.  The rest were White-shouldered House-moth Endrosis sarcitrella, Brimstone Moth, Pebble Prominent, Shuttle-shaped Dart, 3 Hebrew Characters and Early Grey.

Shuttle-shaped Dart, North Elmham, 12th May


Next day I wandered round Syderstone Common in my lunch break but only managed Feathered Bright Incurvaria masculella and 3 Grey Gorse Piercers Cydia ulicetana.  One day I will try and identify some snails, but for now this one is just Snail sp.

Snail, Syderstone Common, 13th May


Wednesday night was another clear cold night and few moths: just 5 Muslin Moths and a Shuttle-shaped Dart.  Quite how Dave managed 36 moths of 20 species I have no idea.

Last night was marginally better, but not much, with 7 moths of 7 species.  Mind you three of them were new for the year: White Ermine, Flame Shoulder and Heart and Dart.

White Ermine, North Elmham, 14th May


Flame Shoulder, North Elmham, 14th May


Heart and Dart, North Elmham, 14th May


The other 4 were Common Plume Emmelina monodactyla, Streamer, Muslin Moth and Hebrew Character. 

Had a little look for moths in my lunch break today.  Couldn't find much but this Common Nettle-tap Anthophila fabriciana was new for the year.

 Common Nettle-tap Anthophila fabriciana, Broomsthorpe, 15th May

No comments:

Post a Comment