Description


A diary of my mothing activity covering highlights and photos from my moth trapping activities. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I may mention other wildlife sightings here, especially insects, but for birds see my birding diary.

Friday 22 January 2021

Review of 2019 and 2020 - Fish, Amphibians and Reptiles

FISH (OSTEICHTHYES)

Fish must be the largest and best-known taxa that I've barely ever made any effort to see, identify and record, but an unusually clear view of the dyke alongside the meadows for a few weeks in 2020 gave me a rare opportunity to see, photograph and, I think, identify a couple of shoals.


Minnow Phoxinus phoxinus - At least 30 by the meadows on 8th April 2020, the first time I've ever identified this common species.



Minnow, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 8th April 2020


Chub Squalius cephalus - At least 30 by the meadows on 24th April 2020, the first time I've ever identified this species too.



Chub, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 24th April 2020



-----------------------------------


AMPHIBIANS (AMPHIBIA)


Newt sp. Triturus sp. - One in my garden on 30th May 2019 but I wasn't able to examine its underside in order to identify it as it was in the beak of a Blackbird.  I imagine it was most likely a Smooth Newt Triturus vulgaris, a species I have recorded in my garden before.


Common Frog Rana temporaria - I regularly see frogs in the garden, presumably from next door's pond, and they often take an interest in my moth trap.  Recorded between 24th April and 23rd September 2019 and 26th April and 19th September 2020.  There were 4 round the trap on 9th August 2019 and 3 times in 2020 with 5 there on 18th July 2020.  In 2019 they sometimes jumped up on to the top of the moth trap, or even right into it but it wasn't until 2020 when I actually saw one eat a moth.  Elsewhere recorded on 4 occasions at the meadows.

Common Frog, North Elmham, 4th July 2019


Common Frog, North Elmham, 22nd September 2019 - on the moth trap


Common Frog, North Elmham, 18th May 2020


Common Frog, North Elmham, 12th June 2020 - staring at (but this time not eating) a White Ermine


Common Frog, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 8th September 2020


Common Frog, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 23rd September 2020



Common Toad Bufo bufo - In contrast to the frogs just 5 recorded in my garden in 2019 and 8 in 2020, although I suspect if I had followed up every time I heard something moving through the leaves in the garden while I was emptying the moth trap I would have found a good deal more (and also some more frogs).  Unlike the frogs they show no interest in the moth trap.  Also recorded at the meadows on 3 dates, at Brancaster, Glenmore (Mull), Bintree Wood and Whitwell Street.

Common Toad, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 23rd June 2019


Common Toad, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 7th August 2020


Common Toad, North Elmham, 28th August 2020



Natterjack Toad Bufo calamita - One at Burnham Overy on 12th June 2020.

Natterjack Toad, North Elmham, 12th June 2020



-----------------------------------


REPTILES (REPTILIA)

I only managed a single record of a reptile in 2019 and none in the UK in 2020.


Red-eared Slider Trachemys scripta elegans - None in the UK but at least 50 at Llobregat Delta in Spain on 21st-22nd February 2020.



Red-eared Sliders (and a Grey Heron), Llobregat Delta (Spain), 22nd February 2020



Common Lizard Lacerta vivpara - A small individual showed well at Winterton while I was looking for dragonflies on 19th August 2019.

Common Lizard, Winterton, 19th August 2019


Catalonian Wall Lizard Podarcis liolepis - Four seen during a walk up from Monistrol de Montserrat (Spain) when searching (unsuccessfully here) for Wallcreepers.  A new reptile species for me.

Catalonian Wall Lizard, Monistrol de Montserrat (Spain), 23rd Febraury 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment