Description


A diary of my mothing activity covering highlights and photos from my moth trapping activities. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I may mention other wildlife sightings here, especially insects, but for birds see my birding diary.

Monday 18 February 2019

A new ant, a new fly and a new barklouse

On 19th August I did some moth-trapping at the meadows.  There was a nice selection of moths, though nothing earth-shattering.  The highlight was probably Hook-tipped Grass-veneer Platytes alpinella, a species I had at home twice in 2015 but not since.

Hook-tipped Grass-veneer Platytes alpinella, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 19th August


The other moths were Carrion Moth Monopis weaverella, Blackthorn Slender Parornix torquillella, Brown Rowan Argent Argyresthia semifusca, Dark Ash-bud Moth Prays ruficeps, 2 Wainscot Smudges Ypsolopha scabrella, White-shouldered Smudge Ypsolopha parenthesella, 6 Clover Case-bearers Coleophora alcyonipennella, Brown House Moth Hofmannophila pseudospretella, Mouse-ear Groundling Caryocolum fraternella, Knapweed Conch Agapeta zoegana, Chequered Fruit-tree Tortrix Pandemis corylana, Common Marble Celypha lacunana, Rush Marble Bactra lancealana, 2 Marbled Piercers Cydia splendana, 20 Common Grass-veneers Agriphila tristella, Chequered Grass-veneer Catoptria falsella, Marsh Grey Eudonia pallida, Ringed China-mark Parapoynx stratiotata, Dark-barred Twin-spot Carpet, 2 Common Carpets, Green Carpet, Tawny Speckled Pug, 2 Brimstone Moths, Turnip Moth, 2 Flame Shoulders, Large Yellow Underwing, Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing, 15 Lesser Broad-bordered Yellow Underwings, 6 Setaceous Hebrew Characters, Six-striped Rustic, Square-spot Rustic, Nutmeg, 2 Common Wainscots, Centre-barred Sallow, Dun-bar, 3 Vine's Rustics, 2 Silver Ys and Straw Dot.

White-shouldered Smudge Ypsolopha parenthesella, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 19th August


Chequered Grass-veneer Catoptria falsella, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 19th August


This Dark Bush-cricket spent the evening on the sheet that the trap was sitting on.


Dark Bush-cricket, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 19th August


2 Dichochrysa prasina were the only lacewings I noted and there was a Common Earwig.  I didn't check all the caddisflies, but of the ones I did there was a nice selection: Ithytrichia lamellaris, 2 Hydropsyche pellucidula, 2 Small Silver Sedges Lepidostoma hirtum, Limnephilus lunatus, Limnephilus sparsus, Molanna angustata, Athripsodes albifrons and Grouse Wing Mystacides longicornis.

Bugs included Common Green Capsid Lygocorus pabulinus, Tarnished Plant Bug Lygus rugulipennis (I confirmed one but there were lots of similar bugs), Macrosteles sexnotatus and 4 water boatmen.  I retained one of the latter for checking, making sure, or so I thought, that I had retained a male.  At home I discovered it was in fact a female, so not identifiable.

Beetles included 2 Violet Ground Beetles Carabus violaceus, 4 Strawberry Seed Beetles Harpalus rufipes, Bradycellus verbasci, Hydrobius fuscipes, Orange Ladybird, 2 Harlequin Ladybirds and Acorn Weevil.

Violet Ground Beetle Carabus violaceus, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 19th August


Hydrobius fuscipes, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 19th August


The only lifers I had this night were a flying ant which I keyed out to Lasius umbratus and a fly which I would normally ignore but it was such a beauty I had to see if I could identify it.  Turns out it was a Green Gem Microchrysa flavocornis - the vernacular name is very appropriate.  My photos don't do it justice.

Lasius umbratus, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 19th August



Green Gem Microchrysa flavocornis, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 19th August


I had previously reported that last time I moth trapped down here I got stung by a German Wasp.  Well I'm sorry, I got mixed up.  It was actually this night that I got stung, not back then, and although I never discovered the true identity of the actual wasp that stung me, the only wasp I did identify this night was a Common Wasp.

Spiders included at least one Nuctenea umbratica.

At home that night a migrant species, Rush Veneer Nomophila noctuella was the only new moth for the year.

Rush Veneer Nomophila noctuella, North Elmham, 20th August


Other moths were New Oak Slender Caloptilia robustella, 2 Blackthorn Slenders Parornix torquillella, Phyllonorycter sp. (escaped before identification), Large Lance-wing Epermenia falciformis, House Neb Bryotropha domestica, Barred Fruit-tree Tortrix Pandemis cerasana, Light Brown Apple-moth Epiphyas postvittana, Dark-triangle Button Acleris laterana, 3 Garden Rose Tortrixes Acleris variegana, 3 Barred Marbles Celypha striana, 6 Common Marbles Celypha lacunana, 2 Blotched Marbles Endothenia quadrimaculana, Nut-bud Moth Epinotia tenerana, 23 Common Grass-veneers Agriphila tristella, 6 Elbow-stripe Grass-veneers Agriphila geniculea, 4 Garden Pebbles Evergestis forficalis, Pale Straw Pearl Udea lutealis, Mother of Pearl Pleuroptya ruralis, Beautiful Plume Amblyptilia acanthadactyla, 2 Common Plumes Emmelina monodactyla, 3 Orange Swifts, Blood-vein, Small Blood-vein, Garden Carpet, Tawny Speckled Pug, 4 Double-striped Pugs, 5 Brimstone Moths, 2 Dusky Thorns, Rosy Footman, Turnip Moth, 4 Flame Shoulders, Large Yellow Underwing, 2 Lesser Broad-bordered Yellow Underwings, 3 Setaceous Hebrew Characters, Square-spotted Clay, Antler Moth, Common Wainscot, 7 Flounced Rustics, 2 Vine's Rustics, Spectacle and 3 Straw Dots.

Mayflies, lacewings and caddisflies consisted of 2 Pond Olives Cloeon dipterum, Blue-winged Olive Serratella ignita, 2 Chrysopa commata, Chrysoperla carnea, 3 Hemerobius lutescens, Micromus variegatus, Polycentropus irroratus, Hydropsyche pellucidula and Mottled Sedge Glyphotaelius pellucidus.

The barkfly (or barklouse) Ectopsocus petersi was a new species for me, or at least the first time I had identified one.

Ectopsocus petersi, North Elmham, 19th August


Most of my Kybos leafhoppers are unidentifiable females so it was nice to get a male Kybos betulicola, the first I've had this year.  Arguably the Alebra albostriella was a better looking insect.

Kybos betulicola (male, gen det), North Elmham, 19th August


Alebra albostriella, North Elmham, 19th August


Other bugs were Birch Shieldbug, 2 Forest Bugs and Tarnished Plant Bug Lygus rugulipennis.  Beetles were Amara apricaria, 7 Bradycellus verbasci and Aphodius rufipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment