Description


A diary of my mothing activity covering highlights and photos from my moth trapping activities. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I may mention other wildlife sightings here, especially insects, but for birds see my birding diary.

Tuesday 8 December 2015

Multiple moths and more fungi

Sunday night was mild and produced a selection of moths, not bad for December - London Dowd Blastobasis lacticolella, Rusty Oak Button Acleris ferrugana, 2 Winter Moths and Mottled Umber.

 Rusty Oak Button Acleris ferrugana (male, gen det), North Elmham, 6th December


There was also this Great Diving Beetle Dysticus marginalis - at least I think that's what it is (correct me if I'm wrong, always!).  Interestingly I know of 3 Norfolk moth-ers who trapped Diving Beetles on Sunday night, yet they all appear to have been different species.  This was my first diving beetle of any kind for months.


Great Diving Beetle Dysticus marginalis, North Elmham, 6th December


Last night was mild too but only delivered a single Chestnut.

I went birding at Burnham Overy yesterday, and found a few more fungi.  I wondered if this small but proud Earthstar was Geastrum coronatum, overlooking the fact that Tiny Earthstar G minimum is similar.  Thanks to James for clarifying that Tiny Earthstar has the spore sac about 1 cm while G coronatum has a larger sac, about 2 cm.  This one was around 1 cm (I took a photo of it next to my boot for size check), and as I know Tiny Earthstar occurs here and James says coronatum is less frequent in dunes, probably safe call this on Tiny Earthstar.


Tiny Earthstar, Burnham Overy, 7th December


James also helped steer me in the right direction with this, which I had assumed was a fungus.  It is in fact a lichen, one of the Peltigera species.  Thanks James!


Peltigera sp. (lichen), Burnham Overy, 7th December

No comments:

Post a Comment