Description


A diary of my mothing activity covering highlights and photos from my moth trapping activities. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I may mention other wildlife sightings here, especially insects, but for birds see my birding diary.

Thursday 17 December 2015

5 moth species: one late and one later

Last night's mildness brought me fewer moths than the night before, but more than double the variety - 5 species.

This December Moth was my latest ever by a week.

December Moth, North Elmham, 16th December


But this Garden Midget Phyllonorycter messaniella was later.  It's supposed to be the fourth commonest micro in November (according to here) but my latest ever was late October.  But although it might not have been surprising in November, no adult Phyllonorycter appears to have ever been recorded in Norfolk in December - so presumably the latest in the county by a good two and a half weeks at least.

Garden Midget Phyllonorycter messaniella, North Elmham, 16th December



Also 2 Winter Moths, Mottled Umber and Chestnut.

No comments:

Post a Comment