Description


A diary of my mothing activity covering highlights and photos from my moth trapping activities. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I may mention other wildlife sightings here, especially insects, but for birds see my birding diary.

Wednesday 7 June 2017

Alabonia geoffrella and Dichrorampha sequana

A quick birding visit to the patch on Wednesday 24th May produced a few moths (2 Cocksfoot Moths Glyphipterix simpliciella, Common Marble Celypha lacunana and Brown Silver-line) but a bug was the highlight - my first Liocoris tripustulatus.


Liocoris tripustulatus, Bittering, 24th May


On to Ryburgh where I found this Square-spot Drill Dichrorampha sequana - a scarce moth in Norfolk with only about 20 records.



 Square-spoot Drill Dichrorampha sequana, Ryburgh, 24th May


Although striking it wasn't the best-looking moth, but then how could it be when there was a Common Tubic Alabonia geoffrella there.  Another moth where its name seems inappropriate as there is nothing common about it - uncommonly seen (by me at least, only my second ever) and anything but common in appearance.

Common Tubic Alabonia geoffrella, Ryburgh, 24th May


There were also 12 Plain Golds Micropterix calthella, 6 Common Nettle-taps Anthophila fabriciana, 3 Silver-ground Carpets, Green Carpet and Common Pug, as well as a variety of other common insects like this 22-spot Ladybird.

22-spot Ladybird, Ryburgh, 24th May


That evening Dave and I headed up to Gypsy Lane, Brancaster for some more mothing.  A good time was had but I'll save that for my next post.

Among the moths at home that night the following were new for the year at home: Little Ermel Swammerdamia pyrella, Hook-marked Straw Moth Agapeta hamana, Chalk Knot-horn Phycitodes maritima, Treble-bar, Scorched Wing, Light Brocade and Burnished Brass.

Little Ermel Swammerdamia pyrella, North Elmham, 24th May


Hook-marked Straw Moth Agapeta hamana, North Elmham, 24th May


Chalk Knot-horn Phycitodes maritima (male, gen det), North Elmham, 24th May


Treble-bar, North Elmham, 24th May


Scorched Wing, North Elmham, 24th May


Light Brocade, North Elmham, 24th May


Burnished Brass, North Elmham, 24th May


A Hawthorn Bent-wing Bucculatrix bechsteinella was arguably better than any of those following on from my first here last week.

Hawthorn Bent-wing Bucculatrix bechsteinella (male, gen det), North Elmham, 24th May


The others were 2 Light Brown Apple Moths Epiphyas postvittana, Common Marble Celypha lacunana, 3 Yellow-faced Bells Notocelia cynosbatella, Common Grey Scoparia ambigualis, Bee Moth Aphomia sociella, Common Swift, Chinese Character, 2 Silver-ground Carpets, Green Carpet, 3 Common Pugs, Light Emerald, Eyed Hawk-moth, Pale Prominent, Pale Tussock, 2 Orange Footmen, 4 White Ermines, Shears, Hebrew Character, Brown Rustic and 8 Treble Lines.

Common Grey Scoparia ambigualis, North Elmham, 24th May


I'd parked this beetle earlier as I'd failed to key it out accurately.  Having since had another one elsewhere which I eventually managed to name I went back to this one suspecting it was the same.  Indeed it was, a Black Clock Beetle Pterostichus madidus, and another new one for me.

Black Clock Beetle Pterostichus madidus, North Elmham, 22nd May

No comments:

Post a Comment