Description


A diary of my mothing activity covering highlights and photos from my moth trapping activities. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I may mention other wildlife sightings here, especially insects, but for birds see my birding diary.

Monday 6 February 2017

Subzero moth

Temperatures had dropped to -1 degree by early afternoon on Thursday 26th January and dropped to -3 by the morning so I really wasn't expecting any moths in the trap.  I went through it as a formality fully expecting every eggbox to be empty - and so they were until the end.  Then I turned the last one over to find a Chestnut sitting in it.  Staggering to think it was flying in such cold conditions.

Things warmed up over the next couple of nights so another Chestnut (or perhaps the same one) Friday night was less of a surpise.  Saturday night (28th) produced my latest ever Winter Moth and an Early Moth.  Another Early Moth on 30th before things improved in February.

Last Wednesday (1st Feb) was the best night so far this year with 5 species including my second ever Viburnum Button Acleris schalleriana.

Viburnum Button Acleris schalleriana (male, gen det), North Elmham, 1st February


Also new for the year was this Spring Usher.

Spring Usher, North Elmham, 1st February


A Mottled Umber was my latest ever - normally they've stopped flying by now.  Apart from a little damage to the tip of its left wing it was pretty fresh.

Mottled Umber, North Elmham, 1st February


There was also an Early Moth and 2 Chestnuts, and the following night there was only Early Moth and 3 Chestnuts.  A single Chestnut on Friday night.  Saturday night produced my first Dotted Border of the year and 2 Early Moths.

Dotted Border, North Elmham, 4th February


Last night there was just one Chestnut again.

No comments:

Post a Comment