Description


A diary of my mothing activity covering highlights and photos from my moth trapping activities. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I may mention other wildlife sightings here, especially insects, but for birds see my birding diary.

Monday 20 February 2017

Another new beetle - Leistus spinibarbis

There are some excellent beetle identification resources available online nowadays so I now feel able to identify species that previously had been consigned to the "too difficult" category.  Last night as I checked the moth trap I noticed two ground beetles running around so potted one up for closer examination.  It proved to be my first, or at least first identified, Leistus spinibarbis.


Leistus spinibarbis, North Elmham, 19th February


Moths consisted of my first 2 Common Flat-bodies Agonopterix heracliana of the year, Spring Usher, Dotted Border and Chestnut.


Common Flat-bodies Agonopterix heracliana (males, gen det), North Elmham, 19th February


Other insects included 4-5 Ophion obscuratus (an Ichneumid wasp).

No comments:

Post a Comment