Description


A diary of my mothing activity covering highlights and photos from my moth trapping activities. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I may mention other wildlife sightings here, especially insects, but for birds see my birding diary.

Thursday 16 February 2017

Moths beginning to get off the mark

Single Chestnuts on 5th and 6th February were the last moths for a few days as the weather turned colder.  Then on Monday night things started to warm up with Early Moth and Pale Brindled Beauty on and around the trap before I went to bed.  Sadly nothing else made it into the trap overnight, but it's a good start.

Tuesday was so mild (at least in sheltered places) and sunny I thought I might come across a butterfly or two.  Some people did, but not me.  This Brown Hare was nice...


Brown Hare, Moorgate (Blickling), 14th February


Fungi continue to baffle me and tease me in equal measures and I've not managed to put a name to this lot.  They were small - I'd say about the size of a 5p coin, and growing on a fallen branch.  Not sure what species of tree the branch came off - it was mixed woodland with several different species of both deciduous and coniferous species in the immediate vicinity.



unidentified fungi, Lion's Mouth, Felbrigg, 14th February


Tuesday night produced 3 Pale Brindled Beauties and a Chestnut along with 2 micros new for the year - Rusty Oak Button Acleris ferrugana and Common Plume Emmelina monodactyla.

Rusty Oak Button Acleris ferrugana (male, gen det), North Elmham, 14th February


Common Plume Emmelina monodactyla, North Elmham, 14th February


Last night turned up 5 Pale Brindled Beauties, Spring Usher and Chestnut.

No comments:

Post a Comment