Description


A diary of my mothing activity covering highlights and photos from my moth trapping activities. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I may mention other wildlife sightings here, especially insects, but for birds see my birding diary.

Friday 1 June 2018

Small Yellow Underwings, a variety of beetles and a new ant

A visit to Burnham Overy on Friday 25th was primarily for birds but needless to say I kept an eye out for other things too.  The weather wasn't ideal for lepidoptera (3 Wall Browns were the only butterflies I saw) but there were a few moths on the wing.  At least 40 Plain Fanners Glyphipterix fuscoviridella were most numerous but there were also Hook-streak Grass-veneer Crambus lathoniellus and 4 Cinnabars.  Curiously James Lowen reported 100++ Diamond-back Moths but I didn't see a single one!  Did they arrive in the afternoon maybe, after I had gone?  There clearly was an arrival of Diamond-backs that day as I saw some later on, but not at Burnham Overy.

This waxfly proved to be a male Coniopteryx tineiformis.

Coniopteryx tineiformis (male, gen det), Burnham Overy, 25th May


Southern Marsh Orchid, Burnham Overy, 25th May


Later on I went for a wander round the Cathedral Meadows and this proved to be much more productive from an invert perspective.  No more butterflies (single Orange-tip and Small Tortoiseshell) but a good variety of moths: Plain Gold Micropterix calthella, Oak Bent-wing Bucculatrix ulmella, 4 Common Nettle-taps Anthophila fabriciana, 94 Cocksfoot Moths Glyphipterix simpliciella, Diamond-back Plutella xylostella, 5 Grey Gorse Piercers Cydia ulicetana, 2 Pea Moths Cydia nigricana, Sharp-winged Drill Dichrorampha acuminatana, Hook-streak Grass-veneer Crambus lathoniellus, Small Magpie Anania hortulata, Dark-barred Twin-spot Carpet and 3 Small Yellow Underwings.


Small Yellow Underwings, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 25th May


Oak Bent-wing Bucculatrix ulmella, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 25th May


Grey Gorse Piercer Cydia ulicetana, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 25th May


There were at least 15 Green Drake mayflies Ephemera danica engaged in their dancing display flight.

Green Drake Ephemera danica, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 25th May


Dragonflies consisted of Azure Damselfly and my first Banded Demoiselle of the year.

Banded Demoiselle, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 25th May


There was another Coniopterix tineiformis and this Scorpion Fly was my first Panorpa communis for the site.

Panorpa communis, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 25th May


This Gorse Shieldbug was the only bug I found.

Gorse Shieldbug, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 25th May


There were quite a few species of beetle including two I hadn't previously identified: Plum Longhorn Beetle Tetrops praeustus and the weevil Trichosirocalus troglodytes.


Plum Longhorn Beetle Tetrops praeustus, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 25th May



Trichosirocalus troglodytes, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 25th May


Other beetles included 2 Athous haemorrhoidalis, Cantharis nigricans, Cantharis rusticaByturus ochraceus, 24-spot Ladybird and 5 Phyllobius pomaceus.

Athous haemorrhoidalis, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 25th May


Cantharis rustica, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 25th May




Nettle Weevils Phyllobius pomaceus, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 25th May


I imagined this red ant would be another Myrmica rubra but it turned to be Myrmica ruginodis, apparently also very common but the first one I've identified.

Myrmica ruginodis, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 25th May


I attempted to identify a few sawflies, all in the genus Tenthredo.  The first is Tenthredo temula, the second is Tenthredo livida and the last is probably Tenthredo arctuata but there are several similar species and it didn't quite key out right using one of the two keys I tried.  I've caught two more subsequently and think I know where I went wrong - certainly the later ones and probably this one also were arcuata.  Thanks to Andy Musgrove for help with these.

Tenthredo temula, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 25th May


Tenthredo livida, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 25th May



probable Tenthredo arcuata, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 25th May


Finally I think these fungi are old Jelly Ears...

Jelly Ear, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 25th May

No comments:

Post a Comment