Description


A diary of my mothing activity covering highlights and photos from my moth trapping activities. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I may mention other wildlife sightings here, especially insects, but for birds see my birding diary.

Friday 3 June 2016

The end of a good day's insecting

After a good day insecting at Burnham Overy, New Costessey and Queen's Hill I decided to have a quick look on the patch for birds and moths.  Not many of either seen, indeed the only moth was a probable Skin Moth Monopis laevigella that got away before I could confirm the ID.  But there were some interesting insects inlcuding a new Hoverfly for me, Xylota segnis, and a new Bee for me, Chocolate Mining Bee Andrena scotica.

Xylota segnis, near Bittering, 28th May


Chocolate Mining Bee Andrena scotica, near Bittering, 28th May


Beetles included a pair of Common Leaf Weevils Phyllobius pyri and at least 2 Cantharis nigricans.

Common Leaf Weevils Phyllobius pyri, near Bittering, 28th May


Cantharis nigricans, near Bittering, 28th May


A Scorpion Fly turned out to be my first confirmed Panorpa communis, so that's both common Scorpion Fly species seen at the same site recently.

Panorpa communis, near Bittering, 28th May


This young Shieldbug appears to be a mid instar (I think, or possibly early instar?) Forest Bug (aka Red-legged Shieldbug).

Forest Bug (aka Red-legged Shieldbug), near Bittering, 28th May


I thought this fly might be distinctive enough to allow me to identify it, but I'm not sure.  Possibly Anopheles maculipennis...?


unidentified fly, possibly Anopheles maculipennis, near Bittering, 28th May


Harlequin Ladybird, near Bittering, 28th May


With only 17 species of moth in the trap that night I did well to notch up 8 new for the year: Garden Midget Phyllonorycter messaniella, Garden Cosmet Mompha subbistrigella, Yellow-spot Tortrix Pseudargyrotoza conwagana, Hook-streaked Grass-veneer Crambus lathoniellus, Oak Hook-tip, Blood-vein, Common Marbled Carpet and Brown Rustic.

Blood-vein, North Elmham, 28th May


Oak Hook-tip, North Elmham, 28th May


Common Marbled Carpet, North Elmham, 28th May


Brown Rustic, North Elmham, 28th May


Yellow-spot Tortrix Pseudargyrotoza conwagana, North Elmham, 28th May


Garden Cosmet Mompha subbistrigella, North Elmham, 28th May


Garden Midget Phyllonorycter messaniella, North Elmham, 28th May


The other 9 species were Little Dwarf Elachista canapennella, Common Swift, Silver-ground Carpet, Yellow-barred Brindle, Pale Tussock, 3 White Ermines, 2 Cinnabars, 2 Rustic Shoulder-knots and 6 Treble Lines. Caddisflies were represented by Glyphotaelius pellucidus and Limnephilus sparsus.

No comments:

Post a Comment