Description


A diary of my mothing activity covering highlights and photos from my moth trapping activities. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I may mention other wildlife sightings here, especially insects, but for birds see my birding diary.

Tuesday 24 May 2016

An overlooked species

I had them annually at my last house and I'm getting them annually at my new house.  Surely they must be fairly common?  Yet no-one else is recording them in Norfolk.  At all.  Are people overlooking them, or am I just very lucky?  The species in question is Fen Flat-body Depressaria ultimella - I had my first of 2016 on Thursday night.  In Norfolk there are 3 Victorian records, two modern records from 1999-2002 and then the rest are all mine.  Surely I can't be the only person getting them?

Fen Flat-body Depressaria ultimella (male, gen det), North Elmham, 19th May


Thursday night also got me a Sloe Flat-body Luquetia lobella, a more distinctive species I saw for the first (and second) time last year.


Sloe Flat-body Luquetia lobella, North Elmham, 19th May


A Silver Y was new for the year, and was perhaps part of a small influx of these migrants that was reported in southern counties that night.

Silver Y, North Elmham, 19th May


Also new for the year for the garden were Hawthorn Slender Parornix anglicella, Bright-line Brown-eye and 2 Treble Lines.

Hawthorn Slender Parornix anglicella (male, gen det), North Elmham, 19th May


Bright-line Brown-eye, North Elmham, 19th May


Treble Lines, North Elmham, 19th May


Other moths were 2 Bee Moths Aphomia sociella, 3 Red Twin-spot Carpets, Green Carpet, 2 Common Pugs, Brindled Pug, Yellow-barred Brindle, Scalloped Hazel, 2 Poplar Hawkmoths, Pale Prominent, Chocolate-tip, Pale Tussock, 2 Muslin Moths, Cinnabar, Least Black Arches and 2 Hebrew Characters.

Lots of caddisflies though not much variety: Glyphotaelius pellucidus, 16 Limnephilus auriculas and Limnephilus sparsus.  One invert was a lifer for me though, a Blunt-tailed Snake Millipede.

Blunt-tailed Snake Millipede, North Elmham, 19th May


Friday night proved to be excellent, though mainly thanks to an exciting discovery in the Brecks, about which I will write soon.  But there were some interesting moths at home too, including this Ruddy Flat-body Agonopterix subpropinquella, only my second ever.

Ruddy Flat-body Agonopterix subpropinquella, North Elmham, 20th May


Also new for the year for home were Common Swift, Common White Wave, White Ermine and Pale-shouldered Brocade.

Pale-shouldered Brocade, North Elmham, 20th May


White Ermine, North Elmham, 20th May


Common White Wave, North Elmham, 20th May


Common Swift, North Elmham, 20th May


Other moths were Carrion Moth Monopis weaverella, Light Brown Apple Moth Epiphyas postvittana, 2 Red Twin-spot Carpets, 2 Green Carpets, 4 Common Pugs, Yellow-barred Brindle, 3 Brimstone Moths, Poplar Hawkmoth, Pale Prominent, Muslin Moth, Flame Shoulder and Treble Lines.

Caddisflies consisted of 3 Glyphotaelius pellucidus and 15 Limnephilus auricula.  I finally managed to identify a Mayfly... Serratella ignita.

Blue-winged Olive Serratella ignita, North Elmham, 20th May

No comments:

Post a Comment