Description


A diary of my mothing activity covering highlights and photos from my moth trapping activities. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I may mention other wildlife sightings here, especially insects, but for birds see my birding diary.

Tuesday 25 May 2021

Review of 2019 and 2020 - Leafhoppers part 2: subfamily Idiocerinae

LEAFHOPPERS (CICADELLIDAE) (continued)


SUBFAMILY IDIOCERINAE


Idiocerus herrichi - One came to light at the meadows on 15th September 2019 and one on White Willow there on 15th April 2020.  None at home these years but I've caught one here before (2018).

Idiocerus herrichi, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 15th September 2019



Idiocerus herrichi, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 15th April 2020



Metidiocerus elegans - One on White Willow at the meadows on 3rd August 2019 was a new leafhopper for me.

Metidiocerus elegans, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 3rd August 2019



Metidiocerus rutilans - One in my garden moth trap on 11th September 2020, the first I've caught here.

Metidiocerus rutilans, North Elmham, 11th September 2020



Tremulicerus tremulae - One came to light beneath some Aspen at Whitwell Street on 3rd September 2020.

Tremulicerus tremulae, Whitwell Street, 3rd September 2020



Tremulicerus vitreus - 2 came to light at Whitwell Street on 3rd September 2020, a new species of leafhopper for me.


male and female Tremulicerus vitreus, Whitwell Street, 3rd September 2020



Populicerus albicans - One in my garden moth trap on 1st August 2020, the first time I've identified this species.


Populicerus albicans, North Elmham, 1st August 2020



Populicerus confusus - One in my garden moth trap on 22nd July 2019 and one on Willow at the meadows on 3rd August 2019.

Populicerus confusus, North Elmham, 22nd July 2019


Populicerus confusus, North Elmham Cathedral Meadows, 3rd August 2019



Populicerus laminatus - One in the garden moth trap on 17th July 2019 was another new species for me.

Populicerus laminatus, North Elmham, 17th July 2019



Acericerus ribauti - A male to light at Row Heath (West Runton) on 31st August.  Also a female that was either this species or Acericerus vittifrons in my garden moth trap on 29th September 2019 and  21st December 2020 - would be new for the garden either way.  I didn't keep many notes on the first of the female but the second (my last leafhopper of 2020) was intriguing.  The key I'm using is the old RES one which doesn't include ribauti, and it failed to key out using that which makes me suspect it might be the species not covered by the key.  It seemed closest to vittifrons but the shape of the frontoclypeus was wrong for that species leading me to suspect it was ribauti.  The length was 6.4mm.  Are these identifiable?

Acericerus ribauti, Row Heath, 31st August 2019





possible Acericerus ribauti, North Elmham, 21st December 2020



Next page: more Leafhoppers

No comments:

Post a Comment